Verify a limit using L'Hopital's Rule

In summary, the author proved that the indeterminate form of the type 0^0 can be any positive real number if he showed that the limit of a function with that form exists.
murshid_islam
Homework Statement
Verify that [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/tex]
Relevant Equations
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/tex]
I have to prove that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/itex] (in order to show that the indeterminate form of the type [itex]0^0[/itex] can be any positive real number).

This is what I did:

Let [tex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right][/tex]
[tex]\ln y = \ln \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right] \right) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\ln a}{1+ \ln x} \ln x = (\ln a)\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\ln x}{1+ \ln x}[/tex]

Now, using L'Hopital's Rules, [tex]\ln y = (\ln a)\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{\frac{1}{x}} = \ln a[/tex]
Therefore, y = a

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Not bad! Is there anything you're not sure about?

PeroK said:
Not bad! Is there anything you're not sure about?
I hope this part is correct:
[tex]\ln \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right] \right) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right][/tex]

We can do that because [itex]x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right][/itex] is continuous for x > 0, right?

Not quite, you can do that because the function ##\ln## is continuous.

Likes murshid_islam
One thing to watch out for is that's only true if the limit exists to begin with.

Here's a dumb counterexample. Let ##f(x)=x^2##, and let ##g(x)## be 1 if x is rational, -1 if x is irrational. Then
$$f(\lim_{x\to 1 }g(x))$$

Doesn't exist, but

$$\lim_{x\to 1} f(g(x))=1.$$

The fact that ln is monotonic is actually fairly important for concluding that your new limit exists implies the old limit exists also.

Likes DaveE, etotheipi, PeroK and 1 other person
murshid_islam said:
I hope this part is correct:
[tex]\ln \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right] \right) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right][/tex]

We can do that because [itex]x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right][/itex] is continuous for x > 0, right?
Also, you could work backwards. First you show that the limit on the right-hand side exists and equals ##\ln a##. You then use the fact that the exponential is a continuous function and take the exponential inside the limit. So, if ##s_n## is your sequence, you have: $$\lim \ln (s_n) = \ln a \ \Rightarrow \ \lim \exp(\ln (s_n)) = \exp (\ln a) \ \Rightarrow \ \lim s_n = a$$
PS By mistake I've used a sequence instead of a function, but the same technique applies!

Likes etotheipi and Delta2
PeroK said:
Also, you could work backwards. First you show that the limit on the right-hand side exists and equals ##\ln a##. You then use the fact that the exponential is a continuous function and take the exponential inside the limit. So, if ##s_n## is your sequence, you have: $$\lim \ln (s_n) = \ln a \ \Rightarrow \ \lim \exp(\ln (s_n)) = \exp (\ln a) \ \Rightarrow \ \lim s_n = a$$
PS By mistake I've used a sequence instead of a function, but the same technique applies!
Very well, I also believe this is the absolutely correct way to do it. Your only glitch is that we don't have a sequence but a function ##f(x)=x^\frac{\ln a}{1+\ln x}##

Likes PeroK
murshid_islam said:
Homework Statement:: Verify that [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/tex]
Relevant Equations:: [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/tex]

I have to prove that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/itex] (in order to show that the indeterminate form of the type [itex]0^0[/itex] can be any positive real number).

This is what I did:

Let [tex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right][/tex]
[tex]\ln y = \ln \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right] \right) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\ln a}{1+ \ln x} \ln x = (\ln a)\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\ln x}{1+ \ln x}[/tex]

Now, using L'Hopital's Rules, [tex]\ln y = (\ln a)\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{\frac{1}{x}} = \ln a[/tex]
Therefore, y = a
Was it necessary to show that the limit exists before letting [itex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right][/itex]? Wasn't it going to be revealed at the end of the calculation if the limit didn't exist?

murshid_islam said:
Was it necessary to show that the limit exists before letting [itex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right][/itex]? Wasn't it going to be revealed at the end of the calculation if the limit didn't exist?
If was taking the log of that equation that was the dubious step.

PeroK said:
If was taking the log of that equation that was the dubious step.
Why was it dubious?

murshid_islam said:
Why was it dubious?
Because you don't know yet whether ##y## is a real number. See the example @Office_Shredder gave of why this can go wrong.

PeroK said:
See the example @Office_Shredder gave of why this can go wrong.
But in that example, g(x) was not continuous.

murshid_islam said:
But in that example, g(x) was not continuous.
Okay. Let's say we have: $$y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} x \ \ \text{and} \ \ \ln y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x$$
And you've effectively got an expression with the log of zero. This is why it's dubious, because ##\ln y## is actually undefined. Even if you end up concluding that ##y = 0##, the expressions you have are not mathematically robust.

Likes Delta2 and murshid_islam
PeroK said:
Okay. Let's say we have: $$y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} x \ \ \text{and} \ \ \ln y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x$$
And you've effectively got an expression with the log of zero. This is why it's dubious, because ##\ln y## is actually undefined. Even if you end up concluding that ##y = 0##, the expressions you have are not mathematically robust.
So how would you suggest I change my initial work (and do I need to)?

murshid_islam said:
So how would you suggest I change my initial work (and do I need to)?
PeroK said:

Likes murshid_islam

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate the limit of a function as it approaches a certain value by taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the function.

2. When should L'Hopital's Rule be used?

L'Hopital's Rule should be used when evaluating a limit that results in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It can also be used when the limit involves trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions.

3. How do you use L'Hopital's Rule to verify a limit?

To use L'Hopital's Rule, you first need to rewrite the limit as a fraction. Then, take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the fraction. Next, evaluate the new fraction at the same value as the original limit. If the new limit is still in an indeterminate form, repeat the process until a definite value is obtained.

4. Are there any restrictions when using L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, there are a few restrictions when using L'Hopital's Rule. The function must be continuous and differentiable in a neighborhood around the limit point. Additionally, the limit must be of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞.

5. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used for limits at infinity?

Yes, L'Hopital's Rule can also be used to evaluate limits at infinity. In this case, the limit is rewritten as a fraction with one or both parts approaching infinity, and the same process of taking derivatives and evaluating the new fraction is followed.