Verify a limit using L'Hopital's Rule

Homework Statement:
Verify that [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/tex]
Relevant Equations:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/tex]
I have to prove that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/itex] (in order to show that the indeterminate form of the type [itex]0^0[/itex] can be any positive real number).

This is what I did:

Let [tex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right][/tex]
[tex]\ln y = \ln \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right] \right) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\ln a}{1+ \ln x} \ln x = (\ln a)\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\ln x}{1+ \ln x}[/tex]

Now, using L'Hopital's Rules, [tex]\ln y = (\ln a)\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{\frac{1}{x}} = \ln a[/tex]
Therefore, y = a

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Not bad! Is there anything you're not sure about?

Not bad! Is there anything you're not sure about?
I hope this part is correct:
[tex]\ln \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right] \right) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right][/tex]

We can do that because [itex]x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right][/itex] is continuous for x > 0, right?

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Not quite, you can do that because the function ##\ln## is continuous.

Likes murshid_islam
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One thing to watch out for is that's only true if the limit exists to begin with.

Here's a dumb counterexample. Let ##f(x)=x^2##, and let ##g(x)## be 1 if x is rational, -1 if x is irrational. Then
$$f(\lim_{x\to 1 }g(x))$$

Doesn't exist, but

$$\lim_{x\to 1} f(g(x))=1.$$

The fact that ln is monotonic is actually fairly important for concluding that your new limit exists implies the old limit exists also.

Likes DaveE, etotheipi, PeroK and 1 other person
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I hope this part is correct:
[tex]\ln \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right] \right) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right][/tex]

We can do that because [itex]x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right][/itex] is continuous for x > 0, right?
Also, you could work backwards. First you show that the limit on the right-hand side exists and equals ##\ln a##. You then use the fact that the exponential is a continuous function and take the exponential inside the limit. So, if ##s_n## is your sequence, you have: $$\lim \ln (s_n) = \ln a \ \Rightarrow \ \lim \exp(\ln (s_n)) = \exp (\ln a) \ \Rightarrow \ \lim s_n = a$$
PS By mistake I've used a sequence instead of a function, but the same technique applies!

Likes etotheipi and Delta2
Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Also, you could work backwards. First you show that the limit on the right-hand side exists and equals ##\ln a##. You then use the fact that the exponential is a continuous function and take the exponential inside the limit. So, if ##s_n## is your sequence, you have: $$\lim \ln (s_n) = \ln a \ \Rightarrow \ \lim \exp(\ln (s_n)) = \exp (\ln a) \ \Rightarrow \ \lim s_n = a$$
PS By mistake I've used a sequence instead of a function, but the same technique applies!
Very well, I also believe this is the absolutely correct way to do it. Your only glitch is that we don't have a sequence but a function ##f(x)=x^\frac{\ln a}{1+\ln x}##

Homework Statement:: Verify that [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/tex]
Relevant Equations:: [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/tex]

I have to prove that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right]= a[/itex] (in order to show that the indeterminate form of the type [itex]0^0[/itex] can be any positive real number).

This is what I did:

Let [tex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right][/tex]
[tex]\ln y = \ln \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right] \right) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\ln a}{1+ \ln x} \ln x = (\ln a)\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\ln x}{1+ \ln x}[/tex]

Now, using L'Hopital's Rules, [tex]\ln y = (\ln a)\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{\frac{1}{x}} = \ln a[/tex]
Therefore, y = a
Was it necessary to show that the limit exists before letting [itex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right][/itex]? Wasn't it going to be revealed at the end of the calculation if the limit didn't exist?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Was it necessary to show that the limit exists before letting [itex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \left[x^\left[(\ln a)/(1+ \ln x)\right] \right][/itex]? Wasn't it going to be revealed at the end of the calculation if the limit didn't exist?
If was taking the log of that equation that was the dubious step.

If was taking the log of that equation that was the dubious step.
Why was it dubious?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
But in that example, g(x) was not continuous.
Okay. Let's say we have: $$y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} x \ \ \text{and} \ \ \ln y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x$$
And you've effectively got an expression with the log of zero. This is why it's dubious, because ##\ln y## is actually undefined. Even if you end up concluding that ##y = 0##, the expressions you have are not mathematically robust.

Likes Delta2 and murshid_islam
Okay. Let's say we have: $$y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} x \ \ \text{and} \ \ \ln y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \ln x$$
And you've effectively got an expression with the log of zero. This is why it's dubious, because ##\ln y## is actually undefined. Even if you end up concluding that ##y = 0##, the expressions you have are not mathematically robust.
So how would you suggest I change my initial work (and do I need to)?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
So how would you suggest I change my initial work (and do I need to)?

Likes murshid_islam