Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indefinite integral with discontinuous integrand

1. Jun 29, 2015 #1
    Suppose ##f## is defined as follows:
    ##f(x) = 1## for all ##x ≠ 1##, ##f(1) = 10##.
    Is the indefinite integral (or the most general antiderivative) of ##f## defined at ##x = 1##?
    I'm asking this question because I already know how to deal with, say, ##\int_0^2 f##; ##f## has only one removable discontinuity in ##[a,b]##, so it's integrable. When I do the following:
    $$\int_0^2 f(x) dx = \int_0^1 dx + \int_1^2 dx$$
    and then apply the second fundamental theorem of calculus on each of the integrals, I am assuming that the antiderivative of ##f## exists at ##x = 1## and is equal to ##1##.
    Is this assumption wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

That is one way to say it. However, if F is the antiderivative of f, the F' = f. Perhaps, you are defining a continuous function g such that g = f almost everywhere and finding its integral.

4. Jun 29, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Integration is a "smoothing" operator. If there is a singularity at a single point the integral will simply ignore it. The integral of "f(x)= 1 if x is not 1, f(1)= 10" is exactly the same as the integral of f(x)= 1.

5. Jun 29, 2015 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Let [itex]\varepsilon >0[/itex] and split up the integrand in the following way:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{2}f(x)dx=\int_{0}^{1-\varepsilon}f(x)dx+\int_{1-\varepsilon}^{1+\varepsilon}f(x)dx+\int_{1+\varepsilon}^{2}f(x)dx[/tex]
    Now think about the consequences as [itex]\varepsilon\rightarrow 0[/itex]

6. Jun 30, 2015 #5
    But if we apply the first fundamental theorem to the antiderivative ##F(x) = x + C## (i.e. ##F' = f##) we get ##1 = f(x)##, which is not true for ##x = 1##.

7. Jun 30, 2015 #6

Svein

Science Advisor

Well, in this case you must apply the extended fundamental theorem which says [itex] F'=f [/itex]almost everywhere (which means "except possibly on a set with measure 0).

8. Jun 30, 2015 #7

RUber

Homework Helper

The antiderivative F is defined such that F' = [f] where [f] = f almost everywhere. There is not going to be an antiderivative that captures point discontinuities, since the goal of the antiderivative is to have the property that ##F(b)-F(a) = \int_a^b f(x) dx ##. And the point discontinuities do not contribute to the integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook