1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independent components of tensor

1. Jun 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For indices running from 0-3:
    [tex]R_{iklm} = -R_{kilm} = -R_{ikml}[/tex]

With the above conditions how do I know the number of independent component is reduced from 4^4 = 256 to 36.

No idea how to figure this out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When in doubt, look at a simpler case. If you know that [tex]R_{ij}= -R{ji}[/tex], then knowing [tex]R_{ij}[/tex] for i< k immediately gives you the value of [tex]R_{ji}[/tex]: Of the 16 possible values of [tex]R_{ij}[/tex], there are 4 with i= j so 16- 4= 12 where i is not equal to j and so 12/2= 6 where i< j. Knowing those 6 tells you the other 6. Further, if i= j then [tex]R_{ii}= -R_{ii}[/tex] so that must be 0: The 4 "diagonal" terms must be 0. You can choose 6 of the possible 16 terms of [tex]Rij[/tex].

Now, for this problem you know that R_{iklm} = -R_{kilm}[/itex]. Of the 44= 256 terms, how many have i< k? Knowing that many automatically gives you an equal number. How many have i= k? You know those are 0.

You also know [tex]R_{iklm}= -R_{ikml}[/tex]. Do the same thing with m and l.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?