1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum of rigid body elements tensor

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was working through my text on deriving the tensor for Angular momentum of the sums of elements of a rigid body, I follow it all except for one step. Here is a great page which shows the derivation nicely - http://www.kwon3d.com/theory/moi/iten.html
    I follow clearly to the Eq. below
    2. Relevant equations
    $$H= \sum_{i} m_{i} [ r_{i}\wedge(\omega\wedge r_{i})] $$

3. The attempt at a solution
    The link is as far as I could get, could someone please explain how it goes from the above Eq. to the 3 matrices in the next step?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2015 #2

Delta²

Gold Member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  4. Apr 12, 2015 #3
    Thanks, indeed it does - "The vector cross product also can be expressed as the product of a skew-symmetric matrix and a vector" (not in my text book, naughty, bad text book :-))
    I also did the (laborious) 'normal' triple vector product calculations, and happily ended with the same answer - guess which way I will be evaluating triple vector products from now on :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted