1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independent Physics Institution/Agency

1. Nov 16, 2017 #1
    Is there an institution or maybe just a small agency out there purely for physics education? I am not talking about high schools or universities. I am referring to classes outside of school.

Thanks ahead for any sort of insight!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean like for self-study at home? Like the Khan Academy or the MIT Video Series?

Or do you mean something else? The better you make your question (with lots of details), the better we can answer it... :smile:

4. Nov 16, 2017 #3

berkeman

5. Nov 16, 2017 #4
    Ok. What I meant is a school (with teachers, not online) designated specific for physics, and not for intro courses, but for high level physics. Like think of a physics professor just quit his job at Harvard and open an independent institution not affiliated with anybody or any other schools.

6. Nov 16, 2017 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So you want a school that is not affiliated with any school.

Makes sense to me!

Zz.

7. Nov 16, 2017 #6
    You don't have to be so sarcastic.
    I meant a school designated for the subject for physics only.

8. Nov 16, 2017 #7
    Who are your target customers (clients)?

9. Nov 16, 2017 #8

berkeman

It seemed appropriate to me. It has been very difficult so far getting enough details out of you to be able to understand what you may be asking.
    Can you give some examples in other disciplines? Kind of like the Juilliard School of Music does for musicians?

https://www.juilliard.edu/

10. Nov 16, 2017 #9
    Mainly students who are interested in learning physics. (Free classes, you can come. No need to pay)

11. Nov 16, 2017 #10
    Yeah exactly. I am just wondering whether anyone knows any such places.

12. Nov 16, 2017 #11
    So you're talking about an academy offering structured classes, rather than a tutoring service. Is that correct?

13. Nov 16, 2017 #12

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You might try and post a clearer question.

Then that's not another Julliard. Julliard has one of the highest tuition in the country.

I still don't know what you're talking about, but I am pretty sure there is no place out there independent of a degree granting institution that teaches graduate-level classes taught by R1 professors or former R1 professors for free.

14. Nov 16, 2017 #13

russ_watters

It sounds pretty clear to me by now:
    He wants a school that only teaches physics, for free.

No, there is no such thing. I can't imagine why anyone would start such an institution.

15. Nov 17, 2017 #14
    I've never heard of such an institution either. But I can imagine a reason why someone would start one. By analogy, some musicians have started free music schools via charitable foundations. But these are typically for children in poor neighborhoods (and other select groups in need). The musicians are passionate about music and feel strongly that everyone should have the opportunity to learn it. Here's one example: https://www.sarahschoolofmusic.com/ .

So there would need to be physicists that have a passion for physics and feel strongly that everyone should have the opportunity to learn it. Not sure anyone would launch an independent school though. Physicists in this category would most likely endow scholarships or fellowships for study at existing universities (to teach physics properly, you need more than physics classes; you need labs, as well as classes in other subjects such as math and computers).

16. Nov 17, 2017 #15

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe, but asking a better question (not having read far enough ahead yet), a small private university, if it does have a Physics department.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  17. Nov 17, 2017 #16

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This now becomes vacuous.

18. Nov 17, 2017 #17

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If one person can donate a piano as a charitable act, then another person can donate an oscilloscope as a charitable act.

19. Nov 17, 2017 #18
    Students are not going to get very far in Physics without math, so even if the business aspects would work, divorcing Physics from math in an educational setting is probably prohibitive. And if you're going to teach enough math to do a decent job with Physics, you'll have a critical mass on the math side to do a good job serving other subjects also: math, chemistry, engineering, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted