1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independent Poisson Processes Word Problem

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    Hello, hopefully this is the right place. This is a homework question, so it should definitely be in this forum, but I wasn't sure which sub-forum to put this rather elementary stats question.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In my introductory mathematical statistics class, we've been given the following word problem having to do with Poisson processes.

We are to consider a football game, where each team's score follows its own Poisson process. So there are two teams, team A and team B and, each team's final score has its own lambda parameter:

Team A scores [itex]\lambda_A[/itex] goals per game.
    Team B scores [itex]\lambda_B[/itex] goals per game.

What is the probability of team B winning over team A, with a final score of 3-2.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    My intuition (which I would like to confirm/have critiqued) is that since the processes are independent of each other I should find the following.

Let [itex]X_A[/itex] be the final score of team A
    Let [itex]X_B[/itex] be the final score of team B

[itex]
    Pr(X_A = 2) = \lambda_A ^ 2 e^{- \lambda_A } / 2!
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    Pr(X_B = 2) = \lambda_B ^ 3 e^{- \lambda_B } / 3!
    [/itex]

And then the probability that team B wins with a score of 3 to 2 is simply the product of the two probabilities above, namely:

[itex]
    Pr(X_A = 2 \cap X_B = 3) = Pr(X_A = 2) \cdot Pr(X_B = 3)
    [/itex]

Is this the correct approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is correct (given the rather unlikely scenario that the two scores are independent).

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook