1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independent random variables max and min

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X and Y be two independent random variables with distribution functions F and G, respectively. Find the distribution functions of max(X,Y) and min(X,Y).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can someone give me a jumping off point for this problem? All I can think of is that the distribution function for max(X,Y) is F for X>Y and G for Y>X. That seems a little too simple though.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2
    Let H(t) be the distribution function of max(X,Y). What does the definition of distribution function say that H(t) is equal to?

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    I am really struggling with the material since the midterm, so I am not sure I know what you are asking. Are you referring to H(t) = P(X [tex]\leq[/tex] t) ?

5. Apr 7, 2009 #4
    Exactly! Only in this case it is max(X,Y) instead of X.

Now, think about it means for max(X,Y) to be [tex]\leq[/tex] t. What must be true about X and/or Y?

6. Apr 7, 2009 #5
    it means that
    P(max(X,Y) [tex]\leq[/tex] t) =
    P(X [tex]\leq[/tex] t)P(Y [tex]\leq[/tex] t) =
    F*G

yes, no, maybe?

this part for min(x,y) i am pretty sure was wrong, so looking into it more.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook