Independent study for Freshman/Sophomore?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of offering independent study options for freshman and sophomore students in physics and engineering majors. One person believes it can be beneficial for motivated and interested individuals, while the other had a negative experience with it. The conversation also touches on the idea of using independent study for research opportunities and the potential for receiving letters of recommendation. Ultimately, it is suggested to excel in regular classes and seek challenging problems from professors instead of relying on independent study.
Nano-Passion
Has anyone heard of an independent study for freshman/sophomore students for physics/engineering majors?

What are your perspectives on it? Is it too early? Or is it a good to have?

I ask because I spoke to one of the faculty members about it-- and he replied that it is too early. He wasn't really fond of the idea. I don't know too many colleges that offer this, but it is offered at Berkeley - https://schedulebuilder.berkeley.edu/explore/courses/FL/2012/2671 . I personally think that it is a good idea to be able to offer more to the more motivated/interested individuals. For one, it would make them a more competitive applicant. I'm from a community college so it would be nice to offer more than the standard freshman to sophomore curriculum.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did one in my sophomore year and I'm glad it was my only one. It was pretty lame actually, the professor would assign me some readings and problem sets then we would go over them together for about an hour a week. I got more attention in my regular classes office hours, so I felt like the middle kid. Some of my friends liked them more because they got some letters of rec's outta the professors but I got those from being in research groups or just excelling in their class.

I guess it depends on what your goals are for doing one. Is this for an eventual senior thesis or just for fun? If it's just for fun I wouldn't stress it, self study whatever you want then if you want to skip around in classes talk to the professor directly and show them what you worked on. In my experience, they'll let you move slide through a class or two after they "examine" if you're ready for it.

I would recommend destroying your classes now and go to the professor for more challenging problems. That is how I did my best because I would rip A's in their classes and then build a relationship with them in office hours. In a couple cases, they would want me in their research groups. So, time in a regular class I was spending 3 hrs/week and 3-4 hrs/week in their office hours rather than seeing them for 1 hour/week in an independent study.

1. What is Independent Study for Freshman/Sophomore?

Independent Study for Freshman/Sophomore is a program that allows students to explore a topic of interest in-depth with minimal guidance from a teacher or professor. It is a self-directed and self-motivated learning experience that allows students to develop research, critical thinking, and time management skills.

2. Who is eligible for Independent Study for Freshman/Sophomore?

Typically, Independent Study for Freshman/Sophomore is open to all students who have completed their first or second year of college. However, eligibility can vary depending on the institution and program requirements.

3. How do I choose a topic for Independent Study for Freshman/Sophomore?

Choosing a topic for Independent Study can be challenging but also exciting. It is recommended to select a topic that aligns with your academic interests and goals. You can also seek guidance from your professors, advisors, or mentors to help you narrow down your options.

4. How much time should I dedicate to Independent Study for Freshman/Sophomore?

The amount of time you dedicate to Independent Study for Freshman/Sophomore can vary depending on your course load and the complexity of your topic. It is recommended to set aside a few hours each week to work on your project and stay on track with your goals.

5. What are the benefits of participating in Independent Study for Freshman/Sophomore?

Independent Study for Freshman/Sophomore offers numerous benefits, including the opportunity to explore a topic of interest in-depth, develop critical thinking and research skills, and gain independence and self-motivation. It also allows students to stand out in their academic and professional pursuits and can serve as a valuable experience for graduate school applications.