Index notation/ Tensors, basic algebra questions.

In summary: So I thought that Tjj=Tkk but Sjj is not equal to Skk so it was confusing me.In summary, the conversation was about finding S in terms of T and the decision to choose T_{jj} over T_{ii} in the solution. The main question was about the inconsistency in dummy indices and how to deal with it. The expert summarizer provides a detailed explanation of the solution and clarifies that the dummy indices do not need to match and the factor of three comes from the summation of \delta_{ii}. The final result is T_{ii}= (\mu + 3 \lambda) S_{ii}.
binbagsss
Ok I have T[itex]_{ij}[/itex]=μS[itex]_{ij}[/itex] + λ δ[itex]_{ij}[/itex]δS[itex]_{kk}[/itex].
I am working in R^3.

(I am after S in terms of T) . I multiply by δ[itex]_{ij}[/itex] to attain:

δ[itex]_{ij}[/itex]T[itex]_{ij}[/itex]=δ[itex]_{ij}[/itex]μS[itex]_{ij}[/itex] + δ[itex]_{ij}[/itex] λ δ[itex]_{ij}[/itex]δT[itex]_{kk}[/itex]

=> T[itex]_{jj}[/itex]=δ[itex]_{jj}[/itex]λS[itex]_{kk}[/itex]+μS[itex]_{jj}[/itex] *

My question is , for the LH term of * I choose T[itex]_{jj}[/itex] rathen than T[itex]_{ii}[/itex]. I then get the same decision for μS[itex]_{jj}[/itex] or μS [itex]_{ii}[/itex] on the last term on the RHS. Does this decision need to be consistent with each other?

Next/Main question...
The solution then continues to attain
T[itex]_{kk}[/itex]=(μ+3λ)S[itex]_{jj}[/itex]

Which I can not see how we have got to. δ[itex]_{jj}[/itex]=3, so for RHS of * I get : 3λS[itex]_{kk}[/itex]+μS[itex]_{jj}[/itex] .

I then rename j and k, to get T[itex]_{kk}[/itex] = 3λS[itex]_{jj}[/itex]+μS[itex]_{kk}[/itex].
My 'S's' do not have the same dummy indice?

Many Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this !

Physics news on Phys.org
looks like you're having problems with the implicit sums. when in
doubt write it out.

[tex]T_{ij}=\mu S_{ij} + \lambda \delta_{ij} \sum_k \delta S_{kk} [/tex]

You then hit by a [itex] \delta_{ij} [/itex] and sum over both i and j

[tex] \sum_{ij} \delta_{ij} T_{ij}=\mu \sum_{ij} \delta_{ij} S_{ij} + \lambda \sum_{ij} \delta_{ij} \delta_{ij} \sum_k \delta S_{kk}, [/tex]

Using the property that [itex] \delta_{ij} = 0 [/itex] unless i = j, and is 1 if i=j, we have

[tex] \sum_{i} T_{ii}=\mu \sum_{i} S_{ii} + \lambda \sum_{i} \delta_{ii} \sum_k \delta S_{kk}, [/tex]

Answer 1. it doesn't matter what your dummy index is i, j, k. it's a dummy index. however if you
want to be kind to somebody reading you should make the indices match on both sides of an equation.

Answer 2. the factor of three comes from
[tex] \sum_{i} \delta_{ii} = \delta_{11} + \delta_{22} + \delta_{33}= 1+1+1 = 3 [/tex]

This leaves
[tex] \sum_{i} T_{ii}=\mu \sum_{i} S_{ii} + 3 \lambda \sum_k \delta S_{kk}, [/tex]

Does it matter that the summation indices are different? not really but it is ugly. So use
a different letter!
[tex] \sum_{i} T_{ii}=\mu \sum_{i} S_{ii} + 3 \lambda \sum_i \delta S_{ii}, [/tex]
[tex] \sum_{i} T_{ii}= \sum_{i} (\mu + 3 \lambda) S_{ii}, [/tex]

revert to the summation convention
[tex] T_{ii}= (\mu + 3 \lambda) S_{ii}. [/tex]

Thanks a lot I see now - I thought the rules were that if i rename Skk to Sii, I must also change Tii to Tkk.

What is index notation and how is it used in mathematics?

Index notation is a way of representing algebraic equations using indices or superscripts and subscripts. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to simplify and generalize equations. It allows for more complex equations to be written in a concise and organized manner.

What are tensors and what are they used for?

Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the relationship between different sets of coordinates in a multi-dimensional space. They are used to represent and manipulate data in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Tensors are also used to model physical quantities, such as stress and strain, in materials science and mechanics.

How do you perform basic algebraic operations with index notation?

In index notation, basic algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division are performed by manipulating indices or superscripts and subscripts according to specific rules. For example, when multiplying two tensors, the indices must be matched and summed over. When dividing, the indices must be contracted or contracted out. It is important to carefully keep track of the indices to ensure the correct mathematical operation is performed.

What is the Einstein summation convention and how is it used in index notation?

The Einstein summation convention is a shorthand notation for writing tensor equations in index notation. It states that when an index appears twice in a single term, it is implicitly summed over all possible values. This allows for more concise and readable equations. For example, instead of writing out a series of summation symbols, the convention allows for the use of a single summation symbol.

What are the main differences between index notation and traditional algebraic notation?

The main difference between index notation and traditional algebraic notation is that index notation uses indices or superscripts and subscripts to represent variables and operations, while traditional algebraic notation uses variables, symbols, and operators. Additionally, index notation is more versatile and can be applied to multi-dimensional spaces, while traditional algebraic notation is limited to two-dimensional equations. Index notation is also more concise and allows for easier manipulation and generalization of equations.