Index of refraction, angular seperation

In summary: I ended up taking frequency=speed of light/my v(2x10^8)...which = 3/2. I took 3/2 x 600nm = 900nm...answer B. And for #2...I did the math over(and used your new formula)...and came up with answer B. Why is v = 3/2? The speed of light in air is 3 x10^8 m/sec. So the speed in the medium is 2/3 of the speed through air.#2 looks right.In summary, the wavelength of light in a medium with an index of refraction of
Bradracer18
I can't seem to figure these out guys...maybe I'm missing a few equations too.

1. If light of wavelength 600nm in air enters a medium with index of refraction 1.50, its wavelength in this new medium is...
A. unchanged
B. 900nm
C. 400nm
D. 602nm
---I know that n=c/v...but I don't know how to relate that to find wavelength.

2. A 200m radio telescope is used to investigate sources emitting a 21cm wavelength. The minimum angular separation resolvable for this system is...
A. 0.154deg
B. 0.073deg
C. 0.0026deg
D. 0.0013deg

I have no clue on this one...we haven't even covered this stuff, and he tested us on it...trying to figure out how to do it, before the final(this week). Again, any help is great!

Thanks again,
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
1) n = v1/v2 = lambda1 / lambda 2

Last edited:
sorry, your image didn't load...

Bradracer18 said:
I can't seem to figure these out guys...maybe I'm missing a few equations too.

1. If light of wavelength 600nm in air enters a medium with index of refraction 1.50, its wavelength in this new medium is...
A. unchanged
B. 900nm
C. 400nm
D. 602nm
---I know that n=c/v...but I don't know how to relate that to find wavelength.
What is the speed of the light wave in the medium? What is the relationship between wavelength and speed for a wave of a particular frequency?

2. A 200m radio telescope is used to investigate sources emitting a 21cm wavelength. The minimum angular separation resolvable for this system is...
A. 0.154deg
B. 0.073deg
C. 0.0026deg
D. 0.0013deg

I have no clue on this one...we haven't even covered this stuff, and he tested us on it...trying to figure out how to do it, before the final(this week).
This is essentially a single slit diffraction problem: What is the angular separation of the first minimum for a 200 m wide slit? This works out to: [itex]\sin\theta = \lambda/D[/itex] where D is the diamater of the telescope. It should be the same for radio or optical telescopes. For small angles, [itex]\sin\theta \approx \theta[/itex]

AM

Ok, so for #1...I still can't get it figured out...might need a little bit more help. V for the light in the medium is 2x10^8m/s. Using v=c/n. Then the relationship you asked for, is it v=wavelength x frequency. If so, I don't understand how to use that to get my answer.

for #2...so basically, I take .21m/200m...which = .00105 I'm not sure why that answer isn't up there...did I do it right?

Bradracer18 said:
Ok, so for #1...I still can't get it figured out...might need a little bit more help. V for the light in the medium is 2x10^8m/s. Using v=c/n. Then the relationship you asked for, is it v=wavelength x frequency. If so, I don't understand how to use that to get my answer.
Does the frequency change? So how does wavelength vary with speed?
for #2...so basically, I take .21m/200m...which = .00105 I'm not sure why that answer isn't up there...did I do it right?
They may be using the Raleigh diffraction formula which is [itex]sin\theta = 1.22\lambda/D[/itex]

Also remember: you must put your answer in degrees. Your answer is in radians (or [itex]sin\theta[/itex]).

AM

ok andrew...first let me say thanks...

so for #1, I ended up taking frequency=speed of light/my v(2x10^8)...which = 3/2. I took 3/2 x 600nm = 900nm...answer B.

And for #2...I did the math over(and used your new formula)...and came up with answer B.

Are these correct??

Thanks again,
Brad

Bradracer18 said:
ok andrew...first let me say thanks...

so for #1, I ended up taking frequency=speed of light/my v(2x10^8)...which = 3/2. I took 3/2 x 600nm = 900nm...answer B.

And for #2...I did the math over(and used your new formula)...and came up with answer B.
Why is v = 3/2? The speed of light in air is 3 x10^8 m/sec. So the speed in the medium is 2/3 of the speed through air.

#2 looks right.

AM

What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material bends or refracts light. It is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

How is the index of refraction measured?

The index of refraction is typically measured using a device called a refractometer. This device measures the angle at which light bends as it passes through a material, and uses this information to calculate the index of refraction.

What factors affect the index of refraction?

The index of refraction can be affected by several factors, including the composition and density of the material, as well as the wavelength of the light passing through it.

What is angular separation?

Angular separation is the measure of the angle between two objects or points in space. In the context of index of refraction, it refers to the angle between the incident ray and the refracted ray of light passing through a material.

How is angular separation related to the index of refraction?

Angular separation is directly related to the index of refraction, as it is used to calculate the angle at which light bends as it passes through a material. The higher the index of refraction, the greater the angle of refraction and therefore the greater the angular separation between the incident and refracted rays.