Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indirect exchange interactions Fourier transforms

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    ##\hat{c}_{i\sigma}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\bf{q}}e^{i\bf{q}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{c}_{\bf{k}\sigma}##

##\hat{c}^+_{i\sigma}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\bf{q}}e^{-i\bf{q}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{c}^+_{\bf{k}\sigma}##

Then

##-J\sum_{i}\hat{S}_i^z\hat{c}^+_{i\sigma}\hat{c}_{i \sigma}##

in ##\bf{k}## space is equal

##-J\sum_{i}\hat{S}_i^z\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\bf{q}}e^{-i\bf{q}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{c}^+_{\bf{q}\sigma}\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\bf{k}}e^{i\bf{k}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{c}_{\bf{k}\sigma}=##
    ##=-\frac{J}{N}\sum_{i}\sum_{\bf{q},\bf{k}}e^{-i\bf{q}\cdot \bf{R}_i}e^{i\bf{k}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{S}_i^z\hat{c}^+_{\bf{q}\sigma}\hat{c}_{\bf{k} \sigma}##

and from that we get
    ##=-\frac{J}{N}\sum_{i}\sum_{\bf{q},\bf{k}}e^{-i\bf{q}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{S}_i^z\hat{c}^+_{\bf{q}+\bf{k} \sigma}\hat{c}_{\bf{k} \sigma}##

Can you explain me this last step?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You didn't show the range for q. If it is infinite, then (q-k) got changed to q in the exponent, and q then got changed to (q+k) for the subscript.

4. Oct 22, 2012 #3
    Tnx a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook