1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induce current from inside of a pipe.

1. Jun 16, 2011 #1
    Hi, I've recently watched prof. Lewin's (brilliant man) lectures on Gauss' law, and I have some questions regarding this and a result from Gauss' law, the Faraday cage effect. It was shown that if one have a charge in the center of a conducting sphere, there will be a electric field outside the sphere, if I understood it right.
    My question is, could it be possible to have the primary side of a transformer inside a long, closed steel pipe and be able to induce a current on the outside of the pipe? Some problems, or rather their implications, I can't understand is, the field created on the inside isn't static and the transformer isn't at the center of the pipe?

Thank you :)

Gaute

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2
    If you had an alternating E field it would induce current in the steel pipe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook