1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Charge on a Conducting Disk

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A large, thin plastic disk with radius R = 1.1 meter carries a uniformly distributed charge of Q = -7e–5 C. A circular piece of aluminum foil is placed d = 3 mm from the disk, parallel to the disk. The foil has a radius of r = 6 cm and a thickness t = 1 millimeter.

a. Find the net electric field at the center of the foil.
    b. Calculate the magnitude q of the charge on the left circular face of the foil.

2. Relevant equations

E = 1/(4*∏*ε)*q/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the answer to part (a) is 0, because a conductor will not have an electric field inside of it.

I also know that the charge on one side of the foil disk will be equal and opposite to the charge on the other side, since the disk has a neutral total charge. I'm just unsure of exactly where to go from there. Should I use force equations, since I know that the charges are at rest? Or is there something I know about the electric field that I can use?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2
    Hi.
    So you have a zero field inside the conductor, and non-zero right outside. Determine the field outside, remember the formula for induced surface charge density, then integrate over the surface...

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3
    Thanks, Goddar. I guess my problem is calculating the electric field. Could you send me in the right direction?

5. Feb 10, 2014 #4
    Method of images, since the disk is "large"...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted