Induced current in copper wire

In summary, the magnetic field is increasing at a rate of 0.29 T/s and the copper wire has a resistivity of 1.7 x 10^-8 ohm*m. The induced current is 1 A.
vigintitres

Homework Statement

A square loop, 5.3 m on a side, is made of copper wire, 0.9 mm in radius. A 3.2 T magnetic field, perpindicular to the loop is increasing at the rate of 0.29 T/s. The resistivity of copper is 1.7 x 10^-8 ohm*m. Find the induced current. Answer in units of A.

Homework Equations

I'm assuming I need to use Faraday's law where I = V/R = magnetic flux/resistivity * time

The Attempt at a Solution

What actually threw me was the fact that the loop has a radius. So the area can't just be 5.3 squared and I don't think I need to calculate the area of a cylinder? Well I tried finding the initial value for the magnetic field then subtracting that from the final value after 1 second since it increases .29 T/s. I was just getting large answers and I can tell they would be somewhat large due to the large value of B, but I'm honestly stuck on how to set this beast up correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vigintitres,

vigintitres said:

Homework Statement

A square loop, 5.3 m on a side, is made of copper wire, 0.9 mm in radius. A 3.2 T magnetic field, perpindicular to the loop is increasing at the rate of 0.29 T/s. The resistivity of copper is 1.7 x 10^-8 ohm*m. Find the induced current. Answer in units of A.

Homework Equations

I'm assuming I need to use Faraday's law where I = V/R = magnetic flux/resistivity * time

The Attempt at a Solution

What actually threw me was the fact that the loop has a radius. So the area can't just be 5.3 squared and I don't think I need to calculate the area of a cylinder? Well I tried finding the initial value for the magnetic field then subtracting that from the final value after 1 second since it increases .29 T/s. I was just getting large answers and I can tell they would be somewhat large due to the large value of B, but I'm honestly stuck on how to set this beast up correctly.

The loop doesn't have a radius; the wire has a radius. This problem has several parts, and one part will require the area of the loop, and another part will use the cross sectional area of the wire.

So to answer your question. the area of the loop is just the area of a square. Does that help?

yes, thanks that will get me started at least. Am I correct that I am going to use Faraday's law and was the method of finding the initial B and the final B and subtracting the difference ok for this problem?

vigintitres said:
yes, thanks that will get me started at least. Am I correct that I am going to use Faraday's law and was the method of finding the initial B and the final B and subtracting the difference ok for this problem?

That should work for that part of Farday's law; or you could leave it as a derivative.

1. What is induced current in copper wire?

Induced current in copper wire refers to the flow of electricity that is created when a magnetic field is applied to the wire. This magnetic field can be created by a variety of sources, such as a magnet or a changing electrical current.

2. How is induced current in copper wire different from regular current?

Regular current is the flow of electricity through a wire due to a direct electrical source, such as a battery. Induced current, on the other hand, is created by a changing magnetic field and does not require a direct electrical source.

3. What is the application of induced current in copper wire?

Induced current in copper wire has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies like wireless charging and electromagnetic induction cooktops.

4. How is induced current in copper wire affected by the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the amount of induced current in copper wire. A stronger magnetic field will create a larger induced current, while a weaker magnetic field will produce a smaller induced current.

5. What factors can affect the amount of induced current in copper wire?

The amount of induced current in copper wire can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, the length and thickness of the wire, and the material and resistance of the wire.