Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Current!

1. Nov 4, 2005 #1
    Hi guys.
    I have a physic exam coming up in about 4 days. I have tried to learn how to identify the direction of induced current. But still I have to guess the direction which is not helpfull.
    I was wondering if you could give me a link that illustrates how to identfy the direction or perhaps write down the steps that you would do in order to identify the direction of induced current.
    thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2005 #2
    1 - Define your positive direction of the surface enclosed by the loop.
    2 - find which direction the magnetic flux is increasing. If the magnet is pushed in to a loop with N-pole at front(along the positive direction you defined from step 1), the magnetic flux is increasing.
    3 - Len'z law says, your induced current has to create magnetic field in the opposite direction of step two.
    4 - Now use right hand rule to figure out the directino of induced current. Your thumb will point to the direction you found in step 3. Rest of your finger curls along the directino of induced current.

But at any rate, this might still be confusing.

4. Nov 4, 2005 #3
    thanx. Might have to make some simple digrams for my self to fully learn this :D

5. Nov 5, 2005 #4
    "Define your positive direction of the surface enclosed by the loop."
    Sorry, what does this mean>?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?