1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced EMF and long steel beam

1. Apr 10, 2006 #1
    A 5.97 m long steel beam is accidentally dropped by a construction crane from a height of 6.82 m. The horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field over the region is 12.2 [tex]\mu T[/tex]. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the induced emf in the beam just before impact with the Earth, assuming its long dimension remains in a horizontal plane, oriented perpendicularly to the horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field? Answer in units of mV.

I know that E= change in flux/change in time
    To get the change in time I used the equation
    x(t)= x_o +v_o*t +.5 gt^2
    where x_o=v_o=0
    and x(t)= 6.82 m.
    solving for t gave me .834 s.
    Then for the flux I think it's just B*L= 72.8... but I don't think thats right...
    Can someone please help me?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

review something called "motional emf." THere is a variation of the emf formula for a straight conductor moving through a magnetic field in terms of its speed. Then, all you need to do is find the speed of the bar as it reaches the ground.
  4. Apr 10, 2006 #3
    I got it... Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?