Solving Faraday's Law: 0.73V Induced EMF Help Needed

In summary, it seems like the answer to this problem is different depending on whether you use the dΦ/dt equation or the Blv law.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Calculate EMF induced on tips of an aircraft wing
Relevant Equations
Faraday's law
Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 17.38.38.png

I have a simple sketch of the diagram, and I know I must use the vertical component of the magnetic field of the Earth when doing this problem

IMG_3901.JPG

I got an induced emf of 0.73 volts but I do not know if I correctly substituted the right values into faraday's law equation?

Any help will be really appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with the answer you gave, though I think you're supposed to treat the wingspan as a conducting rod. Like @berkeman mentioned, there isn't a rate of change of flux linked in the actual wing, only the flux linked in an imaginary loop like below:

1582134921795.png

We then have ##\varepsilon = B_{v}lv## where the three terms are mutually orthogonal.

Likes Bolter
The Lorentz Force will exert forces on the electrons in the wing material, so maybe there is a way to calculate the voltage generated that way. The force due to qv X B will be balanced by qE, so there will be an electric field pointing along the wing. That will generate a small voltage, but I don't think you can use dΦ/dt to do the calculation, since Φ is not changing.

Likes Bolter and etotheipi
Do you get that same answer when you use the Hyperphysics calculator that I linked?

berkeman said:
Do you get that same answer when you use the Hyperphysics calculator that I linked?

Yes :)

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
... I don't think you can use dΦ/dt to do the calculation, since Φ is not changing.
I second that. In general it is dangerous to apply maxwell' s equations (which is what Farady's law is based on) to moving media.
The correct way is to use the Blv law which is what @berkeman stated.

Likes berkeman

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field and vice versa.

2. How is Faraday's Law related to induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is the potential difference that is created when a conductor moves through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field through a conductor changes. This is a direct result of Faraday's Law.

3. How is the induced EMF calculated in this problem?

In this problem, the induced EMF is calculated using the equation E = -N(dB/dt), where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the coil, and (dB/dt) is the rate of change of the magnetic field.

4. What is the significance of the 0.73V value in the problem?

The 0.73V value represents the induced EMF calculated using the given variables in the problem. It is the potential difference that is generated by the changing magnetic field.

5. How can I use Faraday's Law to solve similar problems?

To solve problems involving Faraday's Law and induced EMF, you will need to identify all the variables given in the problem and use the equation E = -N(dB/dt) to calculate the induced EMF. Make sure to pay attention to the units and signs of the variables to ensure an accurate result.