1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced EMF, bar moving through magnetic field

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long, straight wire as shown below carries a constant current I. A metal bar with length L is moving at a constant velocity V as shown. Point ‘a’ is a distance ‘d’ from the wire. a) Derive an expression for the EMF induced in the bar. b) Which point ‘a’ or ‘b’ is at a higher potential?
    RvBlRUb.png

2. Relevant equations
    B=μI/2πr for a straight wire. EMF=Blv for motional EMF.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part a) I split up the bar into a bunch of small segments of length dr, a distance "r" away from the wire. so dB=μIdr/2πr. Integrating that from point (a) to point (a+b) I get B=(μI/2π)ln((a+b)/a). While I feel reasonably confident about that part, I thought about it a bit more, and I am not sure how multiplying the B-field, μI/2πr by the length, dr, really makes sense, am I forgetting something important? But assuming that is right, I just plug that into EMF=Blv, and get my answer.

Part b) I feel stuck on, only thing I could thing of was using the equation B=μI/2πr and plugging in and (a) and (a+b) for r. Since if I plug in (a) it will be a greater value, then the EMF will be greater there.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The B field is not segmented into small sections dB. B is not a differential here.
    Do you know the Blv law? It's the expression for emf of a bar of length l moving with velocity v perpendicularly to a B field such that B, l and v are all orthogonal to each other. Now, what is the right expression for a differential element of emf based on this law?

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3
    I worked on it some more and got d(EMF)=B(r)vdr which simplifies to d(EMF)=(μI/2πr)vdr, with limits for the right side of "a" to "a+b". Also B(r) is the B-field a distance "r" away from the wire.
    Forgot to add that for part b) I used the right hand rule and got the the magnetic force, Fb is pointing towards point a for a positive charge inside the rod, so the positive charges will go towards point a and the negative charges towards point b, so point a is at a higher potential.

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks 100% right.

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5
    Great, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted