1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced EMF on a moving rod next to a line of current.

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm currently reviewing some of the old E&M material that I haven't seen in a while and have gotten stuck on this problem. I'm sure I'm just making a simple mistake but I can't seem to make any headway.

Here's the problem: Figure 35-32 shows a copper rod moving with velocity v parallel to a long straight wire carrying a current i. Calculate the induced emf in the rod, assuming v = 5.0m/s, i = 100A, a = 1cm and b = 20cm. Answer: 3.0X10-4V

3. The attempt at a solution

The magnetic field of the wire a distance y away is [tex]B = \frac{\mu _{0}i}{2\pi y}[/tex]. Thus the total magnetic field across the length of the rod is [tex]B = \frac{\mu_{0}i}{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b}\frac{dy}{y} = \frac{\mu_{0}i}{2\pi}ln\frac{b}{a}[/tex]. Now the induced emf is [tex]\varepsilon = -\frac{d\Phi _{B}}{dt}=-B\frac{dA}{dt}=-B(b-a)\frac{dx}{dt}=-B(b-a)v[/tex]. Then the total equation is [tex]\varepsilon = \frac{-\mu_{0}iv}{2\pi}(b-a)ln\frac{b}{a}[/tex], the only problem being that this is apparently not the correct answer.

kYgIq.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi grindfreak! :smile:
    i don't understand this at all :confused:

yes, the area swept out in time t is A = (b-a)vt

but the magnetic flux through that area is ∫ab B(y)vt dy,

ie your previous integral times vt

how did you get that (b-a) factor?
    whatever is "total magnetic field"?? :confused:

if you mean the flux, then say so, and don't call it "B" !

your strange nomenclature seems to have confused you

4. Apr 23, 2012 #3
    Yes I think your first integral is probably the right way to go with it, the b-a factor is the length of the rod, so that (b-a)*x is the area swept out by the rod in time t. As for total magnetic field, I really should have said magnetic field on the rod by the line of current (sorry if this sounds a bit poorly worded, I've been working all day).

5. Apr 23, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sorry, but you're not making much sense

get some sleep :zzz:, and it'll be clearer in the morning :smile:

6. Apr 23, 2012 #5
    I checked my equation again and you're correct, I don't know why I used BA for the magnetic flux.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook