1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance of a loop in a nonuniform magnetic field

1. May 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A square loop made of wire with negligible resistance is placed on a horizontal frictionless table. The mass of the loop is m and the length of each side is b. a nonuniform vertical magnetic field B=B0(1+kx) exists in the region, where B0 and k are constants. The loo is given a quick push with initial velocity v along x-axis. The loop stops after a time interval T. Find the inductance of the loop.

2. Relevant equations

emf(ind) = -L*dI/dT
    emf= -delta flux/delta t

3. The attempt at a solution

well, I am sort of in a loss for this one.
    I tried to get the induced emf by finding dflux/dt:

=integral ( B0*(1+kx) * b dX )
    = b*B0*(b*2*k*x+b^2*k+2*b)/2

change of flux in regards with time = dphi/dx * dx/dt
    = b^2*k*B0*v (because velocity= dx/dt)

so emf is b^2*k*B0

now Im not sure what to do, since the resistance is negligble and i cant find the current from it....

also the whole time interval thing, where does it come into play (kinematics ?)
    and should I use conservation of energy here ?
    1/2 * m * v^2 = 1/2 * L * I^2 ? for some reason I don't think its the right way

just thoroughly confused with this one. please help !
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2008 #2
    anyone ? any hints/suggestions ?
  4. May 6, 2008 #3
    I don't think you got the right equation for emf, you are trying to use the emf generated by a solenoid.

Also, you don't need to find any current (you can't, since there is no resistance), you only need to find the emf.
  5. May 6, 2008 #4
    can you possibly expand on your answers ?

what do you mean I dont have the right expression for the emf ? and what does a solenoid have to do with this problem ?

the textbook I use states that the self-induced emf in any closed loop of current is -L*dI/dT...

I saw a similar problem done in a portable ta guide the way I described.... only there resistance wasnt negligible and the field was Bz=C/x and not B=B0*(1+kx)....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?