1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance Of A Solenoid Problem!

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A solenoid is wound with a single layer of insulated copper wire of diameter 2.100 mm and has a diameter of 3.000 cm and is 1.900 m long. Assume that adjacent wires touch and that insulation thickness is negligible.

a) How many turns are on the solenoid?
    Solved: determined to be 904

b)What is the inductance per meter (H/m) for the solenoid near its center?

2. Relevant equations

Inductance = (constant mu0)* (N^2)*A / l

mu0 = 4*PI*10^-7
    N = 904 turns
    A = PI*R^2 (R = 2.100 mm/2)
    l = length of solenoid = 1.900 m

3. The attempt at a solution

Plugged all those variables above (converted R to meters) and got 0.00019 for the inductance.

I don't understand what it means to find the Inductance per Meter at the center of the solenoid? Do I have to divide by 1.900 m again? Confused as to what I'm supposed to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi pierretong! :smile:
    yes, your formula µN2A/l gives the inductance of the whole solenoid

so divide by l again for the inductance per metre :wink:

(if you cut the solenoid into x pieces, then for one piece N2 would be 1/x2, so N2/l would be 1/x)

see also http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/indcur.html#c2 and http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/indsol.html

4. Feb 25, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Check the area calculation. You want the cross sectional area of the solenoid, so which radius should you use?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook