1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance of solenoid (length = diameter)

1. Mar 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a solenoid inductor consists of 200 closely spaced turns, length = diameter = 5cm. calculate inductance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    H = NI/L
    L = N (flux) / I - you cant use this because the length is equal to the diameter. What equation do I use?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The magnetic flux needs to be included as a function of position to get the total flux and thereby the total inductance. The simplest solution for the B field for a finite length solenoid (it turns out to be exact), is to use a result from the "pole method" of magnetostatics. The B (M.K.S. units) inside the solenoid will be equal to ## B_z= n*\mu_o*I ## plus a subtractive correction term of the B from poles of surface magnetic charge density ## \sigma_m=n*\mu_o*I ## with a "+" pole on the right and a "-" pole on the left. The magnetic surface charge density in this mathematical solution is considered to be uniform over the opening of the solenoid. I don't have a "link" for you, but I do think you could possibly find this solution in one of the older and more advanced E&M texts. One result you get from the above is that the B field at the openings of any finite length solenoid is exactly half of the value that it takes on for one of infinite length.

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3

Hesch

Gold Member

If you google inductance+solenoid+calculator you will find different equations, and by using different calculators, you will get different results because the equations they are using are approximations.

The most popular approximation is:

L = μ0 * N2 * A / L(ength) , A = cross section area.

I think a more precise result is found, calculating the B-field ( at 1 A ) at different locations inside the solenoid, then integrating the B-fields to a flux passing through every turn.

Use Biot-Savart.

Having your program up and running, the calculation can be done within say 20 minutes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted