1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction: Absolute value of complex sequence

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define sequence [tex]\left[ {z_n} \right]} _{n=1}^{\infty}[/tex] of points in the complex plane with [tex]z_1 = 1[/tex] and [tex]z_{n+1} = (4+3i)z_n - 1[/tex]. Show that [tex]|z_n| \ge 4^{n-1}[/tex] for all [tex]n \ge 1[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The base case of induction is true, since [tex]|z_1| \ge 4^{1-1} \Leftrightarrow 1 \ge 1[/tex].

[tex]z_1 = 1[/tex]
    [tex]z_2 = 3+3i[/tex]
    [tex]z_3 = 2+21i[/tex]
    [tex]z_4 = -56+90i[/tex]
    [tex]z_5 = -2557-717i[/tex]
    [tex]z_6 = -8078-10539i[/tex]

I figured I can find a find some [tex]f(n)[/tex], I'll perhaps be able to show the inductive step. However, I'm getting nowhere on that approach. Perhaps I am not intuitive enough, but the points seem to be all over the complex plane. Thoughts? Guidance? Ideas?!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The absolute value |4+3i|=5. Think about that.

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    I slept on it, yet no results were yielded. That usually means the problem is impossible, or retardedly simple. I'm pretty sure I know which one of those it is...

|4+3i|=5 would seem very useful if [tex]z_{n+1} = (4+3i)z_n[/tex], but unfortunately, [tex]z_{n+1} = (4+3i)z_n - 1[/tex]. I don't know what to do with it, since I can't figure out how to treat [tex]|(4+3i)z_n - 1|[/tex].

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not retardedly simple, but it's not impossible either. There's a thing called the inverse triangle inequality. |a-b|>=||a|-|b||. Can you find a way to use that as well?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook