1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two exercises on complex sequences (one about Mandelbrot set)

1. Jan 1, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

I am trying to solve two exercises about complex sequences:

1) Let ##\alpha \in \mathbb C##, ##|\alpha|<1##. Which is the limit ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \alpha^n##?, do the same for the case ##|\alpha|>1##.

2) Let ##\mathcal M## be the set of the complex numbers ##c## such that the sequence defined recursively by: ##z_0=0##, ##z_{n+1}={z_n}^2+c## is bounded (##\mathcal M## is called the Mandelbrot set). Prove that ##\mathcal M \subset \{|z|\leq 2\}##

The attempt at a solution.

For point 1) what I did was: if ##|\alpha|<1##, I can express ##\alpha## in its exponential form, so ##\alpha=re^{iθ}## for ##0<r<1## and ##0\leq θ<2\pi##. Then, ##\alpha^n=r^ne^{niθ}##. Lets show that ##\alpha^n \to 0##, ##0\leq |r^ne^{niθ}|=|r^n(\cos(θ)+i\sin(θ))|\leq 2|r|^n \to 0##.

I don't know what to do for the case ##|\alpha|>1##. In this case, if I consider the vector from the point ##(0,0)## to ##(a,b)##, where ##\alpha^n=a+ib##, then the lenght of the vector tends to infinity. But I don't what to say about the limit of ##\alpha^n##. From my observation, I could conclude that ##|\alpha^n| \to \infty##. Would this imply that the sequence ##\{\alpha^n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## doesn't have a limit?.

For point 2), I don't have any idea how to prove this. Suppose ##\mathcal M \not \subset \{|z|\leq 2\}##. Then, there is some ##c \in \mathcal M : |c|>2##. How could I prove that the sequence ##\{z_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## is not bounded?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2014 #2
    Yes.

Note however that ##|r^n e^{ni\theta}| = r^n##. This is a better approximation. But your method was good too.

Yes.

Take ##|c|>2##. Maybe you could start with writing out the first 5 or 6 terms of the ##z_n## sequence to see if you can find some pattern. Of course you only care about the norm of ##z_n##, since you need to show that goes to infinity.

4. Jan 1, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the first remark. Now, for the second part, I did write the first terms of the sequence but I can't arrive to an expression that helps me to prove what I want to. I mean, I would like to express ##|z_n|=z^n|c|## with ##z>1## or get to a similar expression in order to conclude that the norm tends to infinity. Could you give me another hint for that?

5. Jan 1, 2014 #4
    You have

[tex]|z_0| = 0[/tex]
    [tex]|z_1| = |c|[/tex]
    [tex]|z_2| = |z_1^2 + c| \ |c| |c+1|\geq |c|[/tex]
    [tex]|z_3| = |(c^2 + c)^2 + c| = |c^2 (c +1)^2 + c| = |c| |c(c+1)^2 + 1|\geq |c|( |c|^2 |c+1|^2 - 1) \geq |c| (|c|^2 -1) \geq |c|^2[/tex]

where I make fundamental use of the inequality ##|a-b| \geq ||a| - |b||##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted