Two exercises on complex sequences (one about Mandelbrot set)

In summary: So you have a lower bound for ##|z_n|## that is proportional to ##|c|^{n-1}## for ##n \geq 2##.Is that enough?Yes, that is enough to show that the sequence ##\{z_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## is not bounded. Therefore, if ##\mathcal M \not \subset \{|z|\leq 2\}##, then there exists some ##c \in \mathcal M## such that ##|c|>2##, which implies that ##\{z_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## is not bounded. Therefore, ##\mathcal
mahler1
Homework Statement .

I am trying to solve two exercises about complex sequences:

1) Let ##\alpha \in \mathbb C##, ##|\alpha|<1##. Which is the limit ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \alpha^n##?, do the same for the case ##|\alpha|>1##.

2) Let ##\mathcal M## be the set of the complex numbers ##c## such that the sequence defined recursively by: ##z_0=0##, ##z_{n+1}={z_n}^2+c## is bounded (##\mathcal M## is called the Mandelbrot set). Prove that ##\mathcal M \subset \{|z|\leq 2\}##

The attempt at a solution.

For point 1) what I did was: if ##|\alpha|<1##, I can express ##\alpha## in its exponential form, so ##\alpha=re^{iθ}## for ##0<r<1## and ##0\leq θ<2\pi##. Then, ##\alpha^n=r^ne^{niθ}##. Let's show that ##\alpha^n \to 0##, ##0\leq |r^ne^{niθ}|=|r^n(\cos(θ)+i\sin(θ))|\leq 2|r|^n \to 0##.

I don't know what to do for the case ##|\alpha|>1##. In this case, if I consider the vector from the point ##(0,0)## to ##(a,b)##, where ##\alpha^n=a+ib##, then the length of the vector tends to infinity. But I don't what to say about the limit of ##\alpha^n##. From my observation, I could conclude that ##|\alpha^n| \to \infty##. Would this imply that the sequence ##\{\alpha^n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## doesn't have a limit?.

For point 2), I don't have any idea how to prove this. Suppose ##\mathcal M \not \subset \{|z|\leq 2\}##. Then, there is some ##c \in \mathcal M : |c|>2##. How could I prove that the sequence ##\{z_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## is not bounded?

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

I am trying to solve two exercises about complex sequences:

1) Let ##\alpha \in \mathbb C##, ##|\alpha|<1##. Which is the limit ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \alpha^n##?, do the same for the case ##|\alpha|>1##.

2) Let ##\mathcal M## be the set of the complex numbers ##c## such that the sequence defined recursively by: ##z_0=0##, ##z_{n+1}={z_n}^2+c## is bounded (##\mathcal M## is called the Mandelbrot set). Prove that ##\mathcal M \subset \{|z|\leq 2\}##

The attempt at a solution.

For point 1) what I did was: if ##|\alpha|<1##, I can express ##\alpha## in its exponential form, so ##\alpha=re^{iθ}## for ##0<r<1## and ##0\leq θ<2\pi##. Then, ##\alpha^n=r^ne^{niθ}##. Let's show that ##\alpha^n \to 0##, ##0\leq |r^ne^{niθ}|=|r^n(\cos(θ)+i\sin(θ))|\leq 2|r|^n \to 0##.

Yes.

Note however that ##|r^n e^{ni\theta}| = r^n##. This is a better approximation. But your method was good too.

I don't know what to do for the case ##|\alpha|>1##. In this case, if I consider the vector from the point ##(0,0)## to ##(a,b)##, where ##\alpha^n=a+ib##, then the length of the vector tends to infinity. But I don't what to say about the limit of ##\alpha^n##. From my observation, I could conclude that ##|\alpha^n| \to \infty##. Would this imply that the sequence ##\{\alpha^n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## doesn't have a limit?.

Yes.

For point 2), I don't have any idea how to prove this. Suppose ##\mathcal M \not \subset \{|z|\leq 2\}##. Then, there is some ##c \in \mathcal M : |c|>2##. How could I prove that the sequence ##\{z_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## is not bounded?

Take ##|c|>2##. Maybe you could start with writing out the first 5 or 6 terms of the ##z_n## sequence to see if you can find some pattern. Of course you only care about the norm of ##z_n##, since you need to show that goes to infinity.

Likes 1 person
R136a1 said:
Yes.

Note however that ##|r^n e^{ni\theta}| = r^n##. This is a better approximation. But your method was good too.Take ##|c|>2##. Maybe you could start with writing out the first 5 or 6 terms of the ##z_n## sequence to see if you can find some pattern. Of course you only care about the norm of ##z_n##, since you need to show that goes to infinity.

Thanks for the first remark. Now, for the second part, I did write the first terms of the sequence but I can't arrive to an expression that helps me to prove what I want to. I mean, I would like to express ##|z_n|=z^n|c|## with ##z>1## or get to a similar expression in order to conclude that the norm tends to infinity. Could you give me another hint for that?

You have

[tex]|z_0| = 0[/tex]
[tex]|z_1| = |c|[/tex]
[tex]|z_2| = |z_1^2 + c| \ |c| |c+1|\geq |c|[/tex]
[tex]|z_3| = |(c^2 + c)^2 + c| = |c^2 (c +1)^2 + c| = |c| |c(c+1)^2 + 1|\geq |c|( |c|^2 |c+1|^2 - 1) \geq |c| (|c|^2 -1) \geq |c|^2[/tex]

where I make fundamental use of the inequality ##|a-b| \geq ||a| - |b||##.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the Mandelbrot set?

The Mandelbrot set is a famous mathematical set created by plotting complex numbers on a two-dimensional plane. It is named after the mathematician Benoit Mandelbrot and is characterized by its intricate, self-similar patterns.

2. How are complex sequences related to the Mandelbrot set?

Complex sequences are used to generate the points that make up the Mandelbrot set. The set is created by iterating a specific mathematical formula for each point on the complex plane. If the sequence of numbers generated by this formula remains bounded, then the point is considered to be a part of the Mandelbrot set.

3. What is the significance of the Mandelbrot set?

The Mandelbrot set has both mathematical and aesthetic significance. It is used in the study of complex dynamics and fractal geometry, and has also inspired many artists and musicians due to its beautiful and intricate patterns.

4. How is the Mandelbrot set used in real-world applications?

The Mandelbrot set has been used in a variety of fields, such as image compression, cryptography, and data encryption. Its properties have also been applied in the study of chaotic systems and the behavior of complex systems.

5. What are some other interesting facts about the Mandelbrot set?

One interesting fact about the Mandelbrot set is that it is an example of a fractal, meaning it has self-similar patterns at different scales. It also has an infinite perimeter but a finite area, which is a concept that is hard to visualize but can be proven mathematically.