1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Variable Basic Proof by Induction (I'm lost.)

1. Aug 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use mathematical induction to show that when n = 2,3,...,

[tex]\overline{z_1+z_2+\cdots +z_n} = \bar{z_1} + \bar{z_2} + \cdots + \bar{z_n}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\overline{z_1 + z_2} = \bar{z_1} + \bar{z_2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So help me get started on the first step because I am new to induction. The only proofs I've done/seen (not many) were proved for each [tex]n \in N[/tex]. With that said how do I even start by showing that P(1) holds because the n = 2, 3, ... is throwing me off because 1 is not in there. Does it mean show for all numbers starting from 2? So should I be proving P(2) holds in the first step? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2009 #2
    Yes, Prove that it is true for n=2 as a first step, then assume for n and then using that prove that it is also true for n+1

4. Aug 31, 2009 #3
    So to show P(2) holds:

[tex]P(2) = \bar{2} = \bar{2}[/tex]

this seems goofy. So should it be this way instead?

LHS = [tex]\overline{2+3} = \bar{5}[/tex]

RHS = [tex]\bar{2}+\bar{3} = \bar{5}[/tex]

Then [tex]\bar{5} = \bar{5}[/tex]. So P(2) is true.

5. Aug 31, 2009 #4
    In this case the inductive variable n is refering to the indeces of the terms, not the values of the terms. So P(2) is the statement

[tex]\overline{(z_1+z_2)} = \overline{z_1} + \overline{z_2}[/tex]

while P(3) is

[tex]\overline{(z_1+z_2+z_3)}=\overline{z_1} + \overline{z_2} + \overline{z_3}.[/tex]

(Side comment P(1) is trivially true since z-bar = z-bar is an identity and not useful here.)

As n increases, the number of terms increases. Assuming it works for n terms, you need to show that the complex conjugate of the sum of n + 1 terms is the sum of the individual conjugates.

--Elucidus

6. Aug 31, 2009 #5
    Thank you Elucidus for clearing up most of my confusion on P(2). For the induction step 2 I think I figured it out but I'm not sure. Here's what I did let me know what you think:

Assume [tex]p(n)[/tex] is true for n = 2, 3, ...,

Show that [tex]p(n+1)[/tex] is true

LHS = [tex]\overline{z_1 + z_2 + .... + z_n + z_{n+1}} = \overline{(x_n + iy_n) + (x_{n+1} + iy_{n+1})} = (x_n-iy_n) + (x_{n+1} - iy_{n+1}) = \overline{z_n} + \overline{z_{n+1}}[/tex] = RHS

7. Sep 1, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, don't switch to "x+ iy" now. You know (induction hypothesis) that [itex]\overline{z_1+ z_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ z_n}= \overline{z_1}+ \overline{z_2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \overline{z_n}[/itex] and now you want to extend that to [itex]z_{n+1}[/itex]. Okay, think of [itex]z_1+ z_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ z_n+ z_{n+1}[/itex] as the sum of two numbers: [itex](z_1+ z_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ z_n)[/itex] and [itex]z_{n+1}[/itex].

Since you know that for two numbers, [itex]\overline{z_1+ z_2}= \overline{z_1}+ \overline{z_2}[/itex], you know that [itex]\overline{z_1+ z_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ z_n+ z_{n+1}}= \overline{z_1+ z_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ z_n}+ \overline{z_{n+1}}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook