What is the difference between induction and polarization?

In summary, the conversation discussed the difference between induction and polarization in terms of charge and the effects they can have on materials. Induction refers to the action taken to add charge to an object while polarization is the resulting separation of charge within the object. It was also mentioned that objects can be affected by electromagnetic fields without taking or giving any new charge.
IKonquer
I've heard both words used a lot and am having difficulty understanding the two. Is there a difference between them?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
IKonquer said:
I've heard both words used a lot and am having difficulty understanding the two. Is there a difference between them?

Thanks in advance

Well you induce polarization to occur. If for example, you take an insulating material, and you bring a positive charge close, the electrons will "gather" closer to the positive charge. So you have induced momentary polarization (separation of charge). The same can be done with a conducting material and can actually be used to separate charge on a more permanent basis. The type of material you are inducing polarization to occur in can produce some interesting desired effects that are used in a number of different types of devices. Copiers, on and on...

I think I am seeing how you can separate the charges through polarization. But let's say you rub electrons from your hair with a comb. Why does the comb become negatively charged? I don't think I understand this idea of transfer of charge.

So is induction when a neutral object becomes charged and polarization just the separation of charge? Also I don't see how a comb can just pick up negative charge in my previous post.

IKonquer said:
So is induction when a neutral object becomes charged...

Please READ the wiki link I posted :)
this is not what is written there !

You can add any charge (+/-, size) to objects that have any other charge (+/-, size) no law against it (practically). but also you can affect the distribution of charge inside an object by electromagnetic fields (without taking or giving any new charge) !

Induction - action taken; Polarization = results.
Right?

1. What is the difference between induction and polarization?

Induction and polarization are two different processes that occur in materials. Induction is the creation of an electric current or magnetic field in a material in response to an external magnetic field. Polarization, on the other hand, is the separation of positive and negative charges within a material in the presence of an external electric field.

2. How do induction and polarization affect the properties of a material?

Induction and polarization can significantly impact the electrical and magnetic properties of a material. Induction can cause a material to become temporarily magnetic, while polarization can lead to the formation of electric dipoles that affect the material's dielectric properties.

3. Can induction and polarization occur simultaneously in a material?

Yes, induction and polarization can occur at the same time in a material. For example, in a transformer, induction causes an electric current to flow in the secondary coil, while polarization occurs in the iron core due to the electric current.

4. What factors influence the degree of induction and polarization in a material?

The degree of induction and polarization in a material depends on several factors including the material's composition, its magnetic and dielectric properties, and the strength of the external magnetic or electric field.

5. How are induction and polarization used in practical applications?

Induction and polarization have numerous practical applications. Induction is used in transformers and generators to convert energy from one form to another, while polarization is utilized in capacitors and other electronic devices to store and control electric charge. Both processes are also fundamental in the functioning of antennas and electromagnetic waves for communication and wireless technologies.