• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Inductive proof foundations of analysis

Homework Statement

Prove the following. 4+1+4^-1+4^-2...4^-k = 16/3-1/(3)(4^k)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I confirmed the basis step and proceeded by changing the variable to n and adding n+1. I now have (16/3) - (1/(3)(4^k)) + (1/4^k+1) = 16/3 - (1/(3)(4^k+1)). In trying to get these even I have tried simplifying (that made a mess), adding and subtracting by (3)(12k), multiplying and dividing by 4^k+1 and a combination of these tactics. I just need some direction on how to proceed or to know if I am going about this completely wrong. Thank you.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove the following. 4+1+4^-1+4^-2...4^-k = 16/3-1/(3)(4^k)

Homework Equations

I confirmed the basis step and proceeded by changing the variable to n and adding n+1. I now have (16/3) - (1/(3)(4^k)) + (1/4^k+1) = 16/3 - (1/(3)(4^k+1)). In trying to get these even I have tried simplifying (that made a mess), adding and subtracting by (3)(12k), multiplying and dividing by 4^k+1 and a combination of these tactics. I just need some direction on how to proceed or to know if I am going about this completely wrong. Thank you.
Hello inovermyhed. Welcome to PF !

Making your post easier to read, will likely get you more help, faster.

Your post would be much easier to read, if you would use appropriate spacing --- even better yet, in addition to that, use the X2 & X2 icons for super/sub scripts --- even better yet use LaTeX.

I.E.:
[ QUOTE ]

Homework Statement

Prove the following. 4+1+4-1+4-2...4-k = 16/3-1/(3)(4k)[ /QUOTE ]​
I suppose the (4k) should actually be in the denominator. ???
[ QUOTE ]

Homework Equations

I confirmed the basis step and proceeded by changing the variable to n and adding n+1.

I now have
(16/3) - (1/(3)(4k)) + (1/4k+1) = 16/3 - (1/(3)(4k+1)).​
In trying to get these even I have tried simplifying (that made a mess), adding and subtracting by (3)(12k), multiplying and dividing by 4^k+1 and a combination of these tactics. I just need some direction on how to proceed or to know if I am going about this completely wrong. Thank you.
[/QUOTE ]​

"QUOTE" tags intentionally deactivated so OP can see what's behind the spacing & formatting.

This is coming from another Real Analysis student so I may be making a mistake, but the practice for me is definitely worth it so please point out if I did something wrong.
Taking k=1 we see that the equality holds, so we assume the equality holds for k and attempt to prove for k+1. We then have [itex] {\frac{16}{3}} - {\frac{1}{3 * 4^k}} + 4^{-k -1} = {\frac{16}{3}} - {\frac{1}{3 * 4^{k+1}}} [/itex]
Subtract 16/3 from both sides and multiply by negative 3 to get
[itex]{\frac{1}{{4^k}}} - 3 * 4^{-k -1} = {\frac{1}{4^{k+1}}} [/itex]
You can then multiply both sides by [itex] 4^{k+1} [/itex] to get
[itex] {\frac{4^{k+1}}{4^k}} - 3*4^{k+1} * 4^{-k -1} = 1 [/itex]
but the first term on the left just gives 4 and through a little manipulation i.e breaking [itex] 4^{k+1} [/itex] into [itex] 4^k *4 [/itex] and a similar maneuver with [itex] 4^{-k -1}[/itex] you get 4-3 = 1 thus proving the equality.
I think that is correct.