1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductive proof foundations of analysis

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the following. 4+1+4^-1+4^-2...4^-k = 16/3-1/(3)(4^k)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I confirmed the basis step and proceeded by changing the variable to n and adding n+1. I now have (16/3) - (1/(3)(4^k)) + (1/4^k+1) = 16/3 - (1/(3)(4^k+1)). In trying to get these even I have tried simplifying (that made a mess), adding and subtracting by (3)(12k), multiplying and dividing by 4^k+1 and a combination of these tactics. I just need some direction on how to proceed or to know if I am going about this completely wrong. Thank you.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello inovermyhed. Welcome to PF !

Making your post easier to read, will likely get you more help, faster.

Your post would be much easier to read, if you would use appropriate spacing --- even better yet, in addition to that, use the X2 & X2 icons for super/sub scripts --- even better yet use LaTeX.

I.E.:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Prove the following. 4+1+4-1+4-2...4-k = 16/3-1/(3)(4k)[ /QUOTE ]​
    I suppose the (4k) should actually be in the denominator. ???
    [ QUOTE ]
    2. Relevant equations

I confirmed the basis step and proceeded by changing the variable to n and adding n+1.

I now have
    (16/3) - (1/(3)(4k)) + (1/4k+1) = 16/3 - (1/(3)(4k+1)). ​
    In trying to get these even I have tried simplifying (that made a mess), adding and subtracting by (3)(12k), multiplying and dividing by 4^k+1 and a combination of these tactics. I just need some direction on how to proceed or to know if I am going about this completely wrong. Thank you.
    [/QUOTE ]​

"QUOTE" tags intentionally deactivated so OP can see what's behind the spacing & formatting.

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3
    This is coming from another Real Analysis student so I may be making a mistake, but the practice for me is definitely worth it so please point out if I did something wrong.
    Taking k=1 we see that the equality holds, so we assume the equality holds for k and attempt to prove for k+1. We then have [itex] {\frac{16}{3}} - {\frac{1}{3 * 4^k}} + 4^{-k -1} = {\frac{16}{3}} - {\frac{1}{3 * 4^{k+1}}} [/itex]
    Subtract 16/3 from both sides and multiply by negative 3 to get
    [itex]{\frac{1}{{4^k}}} - 3 * 4^{-k -1} = {\frac{1}{4^{k+1}}} [/itex]
    You can then multiply both sides by [itex] 4^{k+1} [/itex] to get
    [itex] {\frac{4^{k+1}}{4^k}} - 3*4^{k+1} * 4^{-k -1} = 1 [/itex]
    but the first term on the left just gives 4 and through a little manipulation i.e breaking [itex] 4^{k+1} [/itex] into [itex] 4^k *4 [/itex] and a similar maneuver with [itex] 4^{-k -1}[/itex] you get 4-3 = 1 thus proving the equality.
    I think that is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook