Industrial applications of IR communication

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of infrared (IR) communication in industrial applications, specifically for transmitting data from a rotating shaft at 7500 rpm. The potential challenges and considerations, such as mechanical vibrations and signal reception, are also mentioned.
Nikhil N
I need some industrial applications where IR is used for communication. Also I need to know whether can I use it to transmit my measured data of torque and temperature (measured using RTD and strain gauge) from a Rotating shaft running at 7500 rpm through IR communication ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi9 NN,

You must have googled around a bit already, so I wonder why you pose such an unspecific question ?
IR for remote control is the dominating example, domestic or industrial.
On your shaft (I assume it's a hefty one, so you don't worry about introducing extra mechanical vibrations ?) a problem will be to keep your circuits from breaking due to vibrational forces on top of the required centripetal force. Then there's the issue of picking up a decent signal from a rotating transmitter, multiplexing, etc.
Not clear to me if you need high speed (torque in small steps during a single revolution) or whether average values aaare good enough.

1. What is IR communication and how is it used in industrial applications?

IR (Infrared) communication is a wireless technology that uses infrared light to transmit data between two devices. In industrial applications, IR communication is often used for remote control of machinery or equipment, data transfer between devices, and automated process control.

2. What are the advantages of using IR communication in industrial settings?

IR communication offers several advantages in industrial applications, such as being able to operate in harsh environments with dust, moisture, and electromagnetic interference. It also provides secure communication as the signal can only be received within a short range, and it is cost-effective compared to other wireless technologies.

3. Can IR communication be integrated with other wireless technologies?

Yes, IR communication can be integrated with other wireless technologies such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. This allows for a more comprehensive communication system and gives flexibility in choosing the most suitable technology for different applications.

4. How reliable is IR communication in industrial settings?

IR communication is generally considered to be reliable in industrial settings. However, it can be affected by external factors such as sunlight, dust, and obstacles between the two devices. Proper installation and maintenance can ensure a stable and reliable connection.

5. Are there any limitations to using IR communication in industrial applications?

One of the main limitations of IR communication is its short-range, typically within 10 meters. This may not be suitable for large industrial settings, and alternative wireless technologies may need to be considered. Additionally, IR communication requires a line-of-sight between the two devices, so obstacles can interfere with the signal.