Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Industrial applications of IR communication

1. Feb 9, 2017 #1
    I need some industrial applications where IR is used for communication. Also I need to know whether can I use it to transmit my measured data of torque and temperature (measured using RTD and strain gauge) from a Rotating shaft running at 7500 rpm through IR communication ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi9 NN,

You must have googled around a bit already, so I wonder why you pose such an unspecific question ?
    IR for remote control is the dominating example, domestic or industrial.
    On your shaft (I assume it's a hefty one, so you don't worry about introducing extra mechanical vibrations ?) a problem will be to keep your circuits from breaking due to vibrational forces on top of the required centripetal force. Then there's the issue of picking up a decent signal from a rotating transmitter, multiplexing, etc.
    Not clear to me if you need high speed (torque in small steps during a single revolution) or whether average values aaare good enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted