Inelastic collision and angular velocity

In summary, the problem involves two identical particles with a radius R and mass M, where one is at rest and the other is moving with velocity v0. The second particle hits the first at an angle theta, resulting in a perfectly inelastic collision. The moment of inertia is given for both the individual particles and the combined particles. The questions ask for the velocity and angular velocity after the collision. The author has attempted to solve the problem using equations for inelastic collisions and conservation of angular momentum, but has encountered difficulties and is unsure if their approach is correct.
Lord Crc

Homework Statement

Hi, I would just like to know if I'm on the right track with this one.

I have two identical particles with a radius R and mass M. One is at rest and the other moves directly down with a velocity v0. The second particle hits the first particle slightly offset, so that the angle between the horizontal and the line connecting the centers of mass is theta. The collision is perfectly inelastic. The moment of inertia around the center of mass for one particle is Ic, and around the center of mass of the combined particles I.

a) what is the velocity v1 after the collision?
b) what is the angular velocity omega1 after the collision?

Homework Equations

Inelastic collision: [tex]m_a\vec{v}_{a0} + m_b\vec{v}_{b0} = (m_a + m_b)\vec{v}_1[/tex]

Angular momentum: [tex]L = I\omega[/tex]

Angular momentum of a particle: [tex]L = mvr\sin\phi[/tex]

Conservation of angular momentum: [tex]L_0 = L_1[/tex] or [tex]I_0\omega_0 = I_1\omega_1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I just use the equation for inelastic collision and get [tex]\vec{v}_1 = \frac{1}{2}\vec{v}_0[/tex], or?

b) Since the first particle is said to be at rest, and the assignment doesn't mention what the angular velocity of each particle is before the collision, I'll assume that neither is rotating before the collision. So, I'm thinking I can find the angular momentum pre-collision by modeling the second particle as a point mass 2R away from the center of the first, and this would be L0, so that [tex]L_0 = mvr sin\phi = 2mv_0R sin\phi[/tex]. Using some trigonometric argument I'll find an expression for phi based on theta (I don't expect to have a problem with this). I then use conservation of angular momentum and solve for omega1. Does this sound right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've now tried this approach, and it seems not to work out quite right. That is, I have to find the kinetic energy before and after the collision, and using the angular velocity I got from the above approach I get a larger kinetic energy after the collision than before. I can't find any fault in my equations when finding the kinetic energy, so I'm inclined to think the above approach is wrong.

For instance should I use the point of contact or the center of the second particle when finding the angular momentum L0?

Hello, your approach seems correct so far. For part a), you are correct in using the equation for inelastic collision, which states that the total momentum before the collision equals the total momentum after the collision. So, your equation of \vec{v}_1 = \frac{1}{2}\vec{v}_0 is correct.

For part b), your approach of finding the angular momentum pre-collision and using conservation of angular momentum is also correct. However, instead of modeling the second particle as a point mass, you can use the fact that the moment of inertia around the center of mass of a particle is given by I = mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the center of mass. So, the moment of inertia for the second particle would be I = 2mR^2. From there, you can use conservation of angular momentum to solve for omega1.

Overall, your understanding of inelastic collisions and angular velocity seems to be on the right track. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that after the collision, the objects involved will have different velocities than before the collision. Some kinetic energy is lost during the collision due to the deformation of the objects or the production of heat or sound.

2. How is the velocity of an object affected by an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the velocity of an object is reduced after the collision. This is because some of its kinetic energy is lost during the collision. The amount of velocity lost depends on the mass and elasticity of the objects involved. The more massive and less elastic an object is, the more velocity it will lose.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rotational speed of an object. It is defined as the rate of change of angular displacement over time. In other words, it is the speed at which an object is rotating around a fixed axis.

4. How is angular velocity related to inelastic collisions?

Angular velocity can be affected by inelastic collisions in rotational motion. When two objects collide, their angular velocities can change depending on their masses and moment of inertia. In some cases, the angular velocity of an object can increase after an inelastic collision if it has a smaller mass or moment of inertia than the other object involved.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions and angular velocity?

Inelastic collisions and angular velocity can be observed in many real-life situations. For example, when a baseball is hit by a bat, it undergoes an inelastic collision and its angular velocity changes as it flies through the air. Another example is a car crash, where the vehicles involved experience an inelastic collision and their angular velocities may change as they rotate or spin after impact.