Classical mech. - inelastic collision

areverseay
Homework Statement
A particle A of mass 2m travelling with speed u undergoes an inelastic collision with a
stationary particle B of mass 10m. After the collision, A travels with a speed vA at 90 degrees to its original direction of motion and B travels with speed vB at an angle θ = arcsin(3/5) to the original direction of motion of A. Express vA and vB in terms of u; what fraction of kinetic energy is lost as a result of the collision?
Relevant Equations
p = mv
KE = (p^2)/2m
vA = 3u/4 and vB = u/4, and 1/8 KE is lost. I can't get to these answers however: for the first part, I got to u = vA + 3vB using conservation of momentum, and the fact that particle B is at an angle, hence I would think its momentum should be 10mvBsin(arcsin(3/5)). Doing the same for A with angle sin90 gives 2mu = 2mvA + 6mvB, hence the equation I first listed, but I don't know how to isolate vA and vB in terms of u. For the second part, even with vA and vB in terms of u, I can't get to 1/8 lost: using KE = (p^2)/2m and summing the KE for particles A and B, I get (54mu^2)/80.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
areverseay said:
2mu = 2mvA + 6mvB
How do you figure that? u and vA are at right angles.

Likes areverseay
areverseay said:
sorry for 3 questions
Per forum guidelines, please separate into three threads,

Likes areverseay
haruspex said:
Per forum guidelines, please separate into three threads,
Thanks for this, I've made this post just the first question.

In retrospect it doesn't really make much sense, since as you say u and vA are perpendicular, but I'm not sure how else to get anything for vA - if I were to use cos90, the particle would be stationary, which isn't true, and I don't know how else to get an expression.

areverseay said:

In retrospect it doesn't really make much sense, since as you say u and vA are perpendicular, but I'm not sure how else to get anything for vA - if I were to use cos90, the particle would be stationary, which isn't true, and I don't know how else to get an expression.
No, it would not be stationary, it just wouldn’t have a velocity component in its original direction. That is perfectly possible in general.
The component of vB in that direction is the cos of the angle, not the sine.

Likes areverseay
areverseay said:

You must write conservation of momentum for each velocity component before and immediately after collision. It applies to both horizontal and vertical directions. The mass ##2m## leaves the impact with only a vertical momentum component (w.r.t. to the coordinates I chose), which balances the vertical momentum component of the ##10m## mass leaving the impact. Apply this concept to the horizontal direction too. You can get the velocities of each mass in terms of ##u##, which can then be used to determine the energy loss.

Last edited:
Likes areverseay
erobz said:
You must write conservation of momentum for each velocity component before and immediately after collision. It applies to both horizontal and vertical directions. The mass ##2m## leaves the impact with only a vertical momentum component (w.r.t. to the coordinates I chose), which balances the vertical momentum component of the ##10m## mass leaving the impact. Apply this concept to the horizontal direction too. You can get the velocities of each mass in terms of ##u##, which can then be used to determine the energy loss.
Both of these replies are very helpful, but I'm still stuck on the horizontal component. So, the vertical component of the momentum of B is the same as the original momentum of A, since there is no vertical component in the new momentum of A, as cos90 = 0 / they are perpendicular. But how do you get the horizontal component? Since there is none in the original momentum, I guess the horizontal component of both new A and B sums to 0, but how do I link that back to u?

areverseay said:
the horizontal component of both new A and B sums to 0
Yes
areverseay said:
how do I link that back to u?
Write the equations and that may become apparent.

Likes areverseay
areverseay said:
Both of these replies are very helpful, but I'm still stuck on the horizontal component. So, the vertical component of the momentum of B is the same as the original momentum of A,
No.

Please write conservation of momentum for the vertical direction, ##p_{before} ~\hat{\text{j}} = p_{after} ~\hat{\text{j}} ##

What do you get for this expression? Is there any momentum in the vertical direction before the collision? What are the vertical components of each masses momentum after the collision?

Last edited:
Likes areverseay
erobz said:
No.
Are you making an assumption about which is vertical and which is horizontal in the OP's view?

Likes areverseay
I don't know. Where is the diagram that labels these vectors? We are talking about vertical momentum. I take that to mean up and down on the screen, and left and right as horizontal. I said before that is with respect to the coordinates I chose. Of course the OP's problem could be oriented in anyway.

To the OP: orient it however you want, just give an indication as to the directions you chose? I diagram would be helpful in either case here. I'm not trying to confuse you, but we better first agree on what is up/down, left/right ...

Last edited:
Likes areverseay
erobz said:
I don't know. Where is the diagram that labels these vectors? We are talking about vertical momentum. I take that to mean up and down on the screen, and left and right as horizontal. I said before that is with respect to the coordinates I chose. Of course the OP's problem could be oriented in anyway.

To the OP: orient it however you want, just give an indication as to the directions you chose? I diagram would be helpful in either case here.
Yes, I think we had different views of which orientation everything was. But, I've figured out the correct answers for all of the parts, so it's fine. Thanks for both of your help, explicitly writing the equations for conservation of momentum did indeed help a lot!

Likes erobz
areverseay said:
Yes, I think we had different views of which orientation everything was. But, I've figured out the correct answers for all of the parts, so it's fine. Thanks for both of your help, explicitly writing the equations for conservation of momentum did indeed help a lot!
That's good news...time for bed!

Likes areverseay

1. What is a classical inelastic collision?

A classical inelastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects collide and stick together, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy. This type of collision is characterized by the loss of energy due to the deformation of the objects involved.

2. How is the kinetic energy affected in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the kinetic energy of the system decreases. This is because some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, due to the deformation of the objects involved.

3. What is the difference between an inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other and there is no loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, the objects stick together and there is a decrease in kinetic energy due to the conversion of energy into other forms.

4. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, momentum is still conserved. This means that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. However, the individual momenta of the objects may change due to the deformation and sticking together.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Some examples of inelastic collisions in everyday life include a car crash, a ball hitting the ground and not bouncing back up, or a person catching a ball and bringing it to a stop. In all of these examples, the objects involved stick together and there is a decrease in kinetic energy due to deformation.