1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic Collision in Two Dimensions

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1300-kg car collides with a 15,000-kg truck at an intersection and they couple together and move off as one leaving a skid mark 5m long that makes an angle of 30.0° with the original direction of the car. If μk = 0.700, find the initial velocities of the car and truck before the collision.
    Note: The car is travelling east and the truck is travelling north.

2. Relevant equations
    FIMPACT=FFRICTION
    F = μ * m * g
    F = m * a
    v2=v02 + 2 * a * x
    x component of momentum: (m1 + m2) * Vf * cos θ = m1 * v1i
    y component of momentum: (m1 + m2) * Vf * cos θ = m2 * v2i

3. The attempt at a solution
    The force at impact equals the force of friction: F = (0.700)(16300 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 111818 N
    Find deceleration of the system: a = 111818 N / 16300 kg = 6.86 m/s^2
    Use kinematic equation to find v0: 0 = v02 + (2)(6.86 m/s^2)(5 m); v0 = 8.28 m/s
    x component: (16300 kg)(8.28 m/s^2)(cos 30°) = 1300 * v1i; v1i = 89.7 m/s
    y component: (16300 kg)(8.28 m/s^2)(sin 30°) = 15000 * v2i; v2i = 4.49 m/s

Obviously the initial velocity for the car is outlandish at 89.7 m/s. I've tried a couple of other equations and I keep getting this same answer. I think the problem is that I am assuming that Vf = v0. When I use tan θ = (m2 * v2i) / (m1 * v1i) I get v2i / v1i = 0.05. If the speed of the car gets much lower the truck will hardly be moving so I am baffled.

Should I try calculating Vf by figuring out the kinetic energy instead?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello jaankney,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

There's a slightly easier way to get the magnitude of the velocity after the collision by using the work-energy theorem, and [itex] W = \vec F \cdot \vec s [/itex] (for a constant force [itex] \vec F [/itex]). But you get the same answer either way. The way you did it is fine too. :approve: I just though thought I'd point it out for future problems.
    'Looks about right to me. :approve: There's some very minor rounding differences compared to the answer that I got, but the differences are minor.

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the response and the suggestion for future problems! I just assumed I did the problem wrong because the velocity was so high. I find these forums really helpful for finding good ways of thinking about problems but this was obviously my first post. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook