Inelastic collision physics help

In summary, the wreckage pile after a collision is made up of two masses which are the same but have different velocities. The mass of the wreckage pile is the sum of the masses of the two cars.
jtw2e

Homework Statement

Car A travels North at 35km/hr.
Car B travels East at 75 km/hr.
Mass of Car A = Mass of Car B
Cars have a perfectly inelastic collision.

Homework Equations

What is the magnitude of the velocity of the tangled mess after the collision? (km/hr)

The Attempt at a Solution

Px = PAx + PBx = MB(0) + MA(75) = 75km/hr*MA

Py = PAy + PBy = MB(35) + MA(0) = 35km/hr*MB

SQRT[(MA*35km/hr)+(MB*75km/hr)]

PTotal= 82.76km/hr*MA

P=mv
v=P/m = (88.76km/hr*[STRIKE]M[/STRIKE]A)/([STRIKE]MA[/STRIKE]+MB)

tanθ = Py/Px = (35km/hr*[STRIKE]M[/STRIKE])/(75km/hr*[STRIKE]M[/STRIKE]) = 0.4666667

tan-1(0.46666667) = 25.01689 degrees.

I'm lost here... I have no idea how to get the mass OR velocity of the wreckage pile after the wreck... Please help. I have verified that my angle is at least correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi jtw2e! :smile:

(why do you keep using "STRIKE" ? :confused:)
jtw2e said:
P=mv
v=P/m = (88.76km/hr*[STRIKE]M[/STRIKE]A)/([STRIKE]MA[/STRIKE]+MB)

I'm lost here... I have no idea how to get the mass OR velocity of the wreckage pile after the wreck... Please help. I have verified that my angle is at least correct.

I don't understand :redface:

you know the mass is MA + MB, and you've found v :confused:

tiny-tim said:
hi jtw2e! :smile:

(why do you keep using "STRIKE" ? :confused:)

I don't understand :redface:

you know the mass is MA + MB, and you've found v :confused:

Hi tiny-tim,
I used strike to show that M/M = 1... i.e. those particular masses canceled. I have not found the V of the system after the collision, which is Ptotal/Masstotal. I haven't been able to find that value I don't know the mass of either car.

So I'm stuck with Vfinal = (88.76km/hr)/MB

I have two unknowns. Somehow I have to find the mass of the cars, OR perhaps there is some other way to find the V? I tried to start a Conservation of Energy approach but since I didn't know mass for the Kinetic Energies, that didn't help.

Last edited:
jtw2e said:
… I don't know the mass of either car …

yes you do! … the masses are the same! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
yes you do! … the masses are the same! :smile:

Two unknowns: velocity and mass. Need a value to calculate either one. The fact that they are the same simplifies things, but I don't see how it gives me a number... such as 1500kg or 2000kg, etc...

but they'll all cancel! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
but they'll all cancel! :smile:

v=P/m = (88.76km/hr*MA)/(MA+MB)

They don't all cancel. Only one of the masses cancels. You are left dividing by the other. Are my formulas in error?

Last edited:
jtw2e said:
v=P/m = (88.76km/hr*MA)/(MA+MB)

They don't all cancel. Only one of the masses cancels. You are left dividing by the other. If they all canceled we would be dividing by 0. Are my formulas in error?

of course they cancel …
MA/(MA + MB) = MA/(2MB) = 1/2 :rolleyes:

Sorry, the number should be 82.76km/hr (can't read my own writing).

tiny-tim said:
of course they cancel …
MA/(MA + MB) = MA/(2MB) = 1/2 :rolleyes:

Even so, V = 82.76 km/hr / .5M

It's still 1/2 times some number M. That number M is what I need to find V. Otherwise all I know is V = 165.5 / M

you must have missed an M somewhere :wink:

tiny-tim said:
you must have missed an M somewhere :wink:

It's been...a very... long two weeks. ;)

Thanks for putting up with my... frustration and confusion.

jtw2e said:
It's been...a very... long two weeks. ;)

actually, it's only been 2 hours! :biggrin:

get some sleep! :zzz:

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that some of the energy is lost during the collision and is converted into other forms, such as heat or sound.

2. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, momentum is still conserved. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. However, due to the loss of kinetic energy, the final momentum may be different from the initial momentum.

3. What is the difference between an inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, and there is a loss of kinetic energy.

4. How is the coefficient of restitution related to inelastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much kinetic energy is lost during a collision. In an inelastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is less than 1, indicating that some energy is lost during the collision.

5. What factors affect the amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision?

The amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision depends on several factors, including the materials and surfaces of the objects involved, the speed and angle of the collision, and any external forces acting on the objects.