1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ineleastic perpendicular collision question

1. Apr 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Car 1: 2200kg
    Initial direction: South
    Car 2: 1800kg
    Initial direction: East
    Cars lock together and slide 11.25M (S 22.25 E)
    At an acceleration that is 9.81 m (back) (it's a coincidence that this is gravity.)
    2. Relevant equations
    Who's fault was the collision if the speed limit was 50km/h?

I can't find momentum without a velocity so I'm very lost

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just invent variables to represent the three unknown velocities, the two before and the one after collision.
    Momentum gives you two equations, stopping distance gives you a third.

4. Apr 23, 2017 #3
    Which equations are those? We only got one equation for in elastic in class, what about the distance one too? What you said makes sense but I can't find 3 equations

5. Apr 23, 2017 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi MomentumIsHard,

You need to make some attempt before help can be given. What details about the motion after the collision do you know?

6. Apr 23, 2017 #5
    All the question states is that it moves 11.25 M [Back] (even though other directions were given in terms of east and south) at an acceleration of 9.81 m/s. The problem is I don't know where to start so I can't really make an attempt. Once I get one momentum I could pretty easily figure this out but I can't quite figure that out with no velocities given

7. Apr 23, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Conservation of momentum (one for each of two dimensions) and the SUVAT equation relating speeds, distance and (constant) acceleration.

8. Apr 23, 2017 #7

gneill

No idea what "[Back]" is supposed to mean, but it doesn't matter if you're given the rest of the motion details. You have a distance, an acceleration, and a final speed. What can you deduce from that?

9. Apr 23, 2017 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think it means the direction of the given acceleration is opposite to the motion.

10. Apr 23, 2017 #9

gneill

That's quite likely. Of course deceleration is also implied by the fact that the combined mass travels a limited distance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted