Inequalities in the real numbers

In summary: I gave you the first step previously (which you ignored!): $$(p+\epsilon)^2 = p^2 + 2p\epsilon + \epsilon^2 = p^2 + \epsilon(2p + \epsilon)$$ The second step is: $$p^2 + \epsilon(2p + \epsilon) < p^2 + \epsilon(2p + 1) \ \ (\text{as} \ \ \epsilon <1)$$ Just two steps left for you...Thank you, PeroK, PF##p^2 + \epsilon(2p + 1) < p^2 + (2p + 1)## (as ##\epsilon < 1##)
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
It's so a basic question that I feel shame.
I'm still not sure about this solved reasoning that involves inequalities
How do we get ##\epsilon(2p+\epsilon)<\epsilon(2p+1)<2-p^2## from ##0<\epsilon<1## and ##\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}##?

Answer: As we have ##\epsilon<1##, we've got ##2p+\epsilon<2p+1##; therefore, ## \epsilon(2p+\epsilon)<\epsilon(2p+1) ##;
-as we have ##\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}##, we also have ##\epsilon(2p+1)<2-p^2##. Is the red-coloured argue what I don't understand

Greetings, appreciated PF

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If ##\varepsilon < 1## then ##x+\varepsilon < x+1##. Set ##x=2p##. Then ##2p+\varepsilon <2p+1.## Now if ##a<b## then ##a\cdot \varepsilon < b\cdot \varepsilon ## because ##\varepsilon >0##. Now set ##a=2p+\varepsilon ## and ##b=2p+1## to get ##(2p+\varepsilon )\cdot \varepsilon < (2p+1)\cdot \varepsilon ##.

Likes mcastillo356
Fantastic, I never imagined it could be explained in so an easy way.
Thanks, fresh_42!

Likes fresh_42
Hi, PF, there is something more about this thread: I want to contextualize the question, and, by the way, ask another two questions. I beg you a pardon if this means to change the thread's place.

It's about Dedekind Cuts, concretely ## \sqrt 2 = \{r\in \mathbb Q\mid r<0\}\cup \{r\in \mathbb Q\mid r\geq 0,\ r^2<2\} ##

And the task is to prove ##\alpha=\sqrt 2## is a cut, without mentioning ##\sqrt 2##

1- As ##1^2<2<2^2##, it satisfies ##1\in\alpha## and ##2\in \mathbb Q\setminus\alpha##; so the first property of Dedekind Cuts is satisfied (for example, the proof that ##\alpha\neq \mathbb Q## is this: ##2\notin \alpha##, because it doesn't satisfy neither ##2<0## nor ## 2\geq 0 ## and ##2^2<2##).

2-If ##p\in\alpha## and ##q<p##, or ##q<0##, in which case ##p\in \alpha##, by definition, or ##0\leq q<p##; hence ##p^2<q^2<2##. Therefore, ##q\in \alpha##.
Why is that ##p^2<q^2<2##?

3- If ##p\in\alpha##, alternatively ##p\leq 0##, in which case ##p<1\in\alpha##, or ##p>0##, in which case ##p^2<2##. Let's see what must require a rational number ##\epsilon>0## so that ##p+\epsilon\in \alpha##:

##(p+\epsilon)^2=p^2+2p\epsilon+\epsilon^2<2##

This is equivalent to ##\epsilon(2p+\epsilon)<2-p^2##. If we take ##0<\epsilon<1## and ##\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}## then
##2(p+\epsilon)<\epsilon(2p+1)<2-p^2##, so ##p<q=p+\epsilon\in \alpha##

Why this implication?

Greetings! Hope not to have treated too badly the english.

mcastillo356 said:
3- If ##p\in\alpha##, alternatively ##p\leq 0##, in which case ##p<1\in\alpha##, or ##p>0##, in which case ##p^2<2##. Let's see what must require a rational number ##\epsilon>0## so that ##p+\epsilon\in \alpha##:

This is equivalent to ##\epsilon(2p+\epsilon)<2-p^2##. If we take ##0<\epsilon<1## and ##\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}## then
##2(p+\epsilon)<\epsilon(2p+1)<2-p^2##, so ##p<q=p+\epsilon\in \alpha##

Why this implication?

Greetings! Hope not to have treated too badly the english.
I don't understand the bit in red at the end. You have:

##0<\epsilon<1## and ##\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}##

Now you have to show that, with these bounds on ##\epsilon## we have ##(p + \epsilon)^2 < 2##. I.e. ##p + \epsilon \in \alpha##.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Hello, PeroK
The target consists in suppose ##p\in \alpha##, this is, we have ##p## that satisfies ##p<0## or ##p\geq 0## and ##p``^2<2## (not mentioning ##\sqrt 2##), and I must find a ##q>p## that satisfies the same (whithout references to ##\sqrt 2##.
All I find in the proof is a dance of ##\epsilon##, ##p##, 0, 1, and 2.
Let's see, I think I understand:
##2(p+\epsilon)<(p+\epsilon)^2<2##: ##2(p+\epsilon)=q\in \alpha##

mcastillo356 said:
Hello, PeroK
The target consists in suppose ##p\in \alpha##, this is, we have ##p## that satisfies ##p<0## or ##p\geq 0## and ##p``^2<2## (not mentioning ##\sqrt 2##), and I must find a ##q>p## that satisfies the same (whithout references to ##\sqrt 2##.
All I find in the proof is a dance of ##\epsilon##, ##p##, 0, 1, and 2.
Let's see, I think I understand:
##2(p+\epsilon)<(p+\epsilon)^2<2##: ##2(p+\epsilon)=q\in \alpha##
I don't understand that at all.

You have to show that:

##0<\epsilon<1## and ##\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1} \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ (p + \epsilon)^2 < 2##

That should be quite simple.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
PS you could check it out for ##p = \frac 7 5##.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
It works, but, how can I prove it algebraically?

mcastillo356 said:
It works, but, how can I prove it algebraically?
Using algebra! Starting with ##(p + \epsilon)^2 = p^2 + 2p\epsilon + \epsilon^2##

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Ok, processing...

@mcastillo356, I revised your thread title slightly, changing "inequations" to "inequalities," which is what we call them in English. Inconsistent, but that's English for you.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
PeroK said:
You have to show that:

##0<\epsilon<1## and ##\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1} \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ (p + \epsilon)^2 < 2##

That should be quite simple.

PeroK said:
Using algebra! Starting with ##(p + \epsilon)^2 = p^2 + 2p\epsilon + \epsilon^2##

I know only to prove this:
Dedekind Cuts, third property:
III If ##p\in\alpha## then ##p<r## for some ##r\in \alpha##
For example, the cut ##\sqrt 2 = \{r\in \mathbb Q\mid r\leq 0\}\cup \{r\in \mathbb Q\mid r> 0,\ r^2<2\}##. If ##p\in\alpha##, alternatively ##p\leq 0##, in which case ##p<1\in\alpha##, or ##p>0##, in which case ##p^2<2##. Let's see what must require a rational number ##\epsilon>0## so that ##p+\epsilon\in \alpha##:

This is equivalent to ##\epsilon(2p+\epsilon)<2-p^2##. If we take ##0<\epsilon<1## and ##\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}## then we've found the proper ##\epsilon##.
Problem solved?

##2(p+\epsilon)<\epsilon(2p+1)<2-p^2## would be another way to express the two inequalities that bound ##\epsilon##

mcastillo356 said:
If we take ##0<\epsilon<1## and ##\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}## then we've found the proper ##\epsilon##.
Problem solved?
I would still like to see a direct calculation that starts with that ##\epsilon## and shows that ##(p+\epsilon)^2 < 2##.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
I will try. I'll answer tomorrow

Hello, PeroK, PF
##0<\epsilon<1## and ##\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}\Rightarrow{(p+\epsilon)^2<2}##
##0<\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}##
##\Rightarrow{0<\epsilon(2p+1)<2-p^2}##
##\Rightarrow{p^2<2}##
Dedekind Cuts, third property
##\therefore{(p+\epsilon)^2<2}##
:confused:
?

mcastillo356 said:
Hello, PeroK, PF
##0<\epsilon<1## and ##\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}\Rightarrow{(p+\epsilon)^2<2}##
##0<\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}##
##\Rightarrow{0<\epsilon(2p+1)<2-p^2}##
##\Rightarrow{p^2<2}##
Dedekind Cuts, third property
##\therefore{(p+\epsilon)^2<2}##
:confused:
?
We already knew that ##p^2 < 2##. It was ##(p+ \epsilon)^2 < 2## that must be shown.

I gave you the first step previously (which you ignored!): $$(p+\epsilon)^2 = p^2 + 2p\epsilon + \epsilon^2 = p^2 + \epsilon(2p + \epsilon)$$ The second step is: $$p^2 + \epsilon(2p + \epsilon) < p^2 + \epsilon(2p + 1) \ \ (\text{as} \ \ \epsilon <1)$$ Just two steps left for you now!

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Hi, PeroK, PF

$$(p+\epsilon)^2=p^2+2p\epsilon+\epsilon^2=p^2+\epsilon(2p+\epsilon)$$

$$\epsilon<1\Rightarrow p^2+\epsilon(2p+\epsilon)<p^2+\epsilon(2p+1)$$

$$\epsilon<\dfrac{2-p^2}{2p+1}\Rightarrow \epsilon(2p+1)<2-p^2$$

$$p^2+\epsilon(2p+\epsilon)<p^2+\epsilon(2p+1)<2-p^2+p^2$$

$$\Rightarrow (p+\epsilon)^2<2\Rightarrow (p+\epsilon)\in \alpha$$

? :confused:

Likes PeroK
:partytime:

• Love
Likes mcastillo356

1. What are inequalities in the real numbers?

Inequalities in the real numbers refer to mathematical statements that compare two real numbers using symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥. These symbols indicate whether one number is smaller, larger, or equal to the other number.

2. How are inequalities solved in the real numbers?

Inequalities in the real numbers are solved by finding the value or range of values that make the statement true. This can be done by using algebraic techniques such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides of the inequality by the same number.

3. What is the difference between an inequality and an equation?

An inequality compares two real numbers and uses symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥, while an equation states that two expressions are equal and uses an equal sign (=). Inequalities have a range of possible solutions, while equations have a single solution.

4. How do inequalities relate to real-world situations?

Inequalities are commonly used in real-world situations to represent relationships between quantities. For example, an inequality can be used to compare the cost of two items, the weight of two objects, or the temperature of two locations.

5. What is the importance of understanding inequalities in the real numbers?

Understanding inequalities in the real numbers is important in many fields, such as economics, science, and engineering. It allows us to make comparisons and analyze relationships between quantities, which is crucial in problem-solving and decision-making processes.