Niles Messages 1,834 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Nov 27, 2009 #1 Homework Statement Hi all What is a ">" called in English, and likewise, what is ">=" called in English?
Homework Statement Hi all What is a ">" called in English, and likewise, what is ">=" called in English?
Mark44 Mentor Insights Author Messages 38,152 Reaction score 10,759 Nov 27, 2009 #2 > - "greater than" >= "greater than or equal to"
Niles Messages 1,834 Reaction score 0 Nov 27, 2009 #3 I mean what are the symbols called? Translating what we call it here, in English it would be something like a "sharp inequality" and a "soft inequality" respectively (these are not the correct English terms, according to Google).
I mean what are the symbols called? Translating what we call it here, in English it would be something like a "sharp inequality" and a "soft inequality" respectively (these are not the correct English terms, according to Google).
Mark44 Mentor Insights Author Messages 38,152 Reaction score 10,759 Nov 27, 2009 #4 Maybe "strictly greater than" for >, and "strictly less than" for <. I don't think there is corresponding terminology for >= and <=. The symbol > is sometimes called "right angle bracket", and < is called "left angle bracket."
Maybe "strictly greater than" for >, and "strictly less than" for <. I don't think there is corresponding terminology for >= and <=. The symbol > is sometimes called "right angle bracket", and < is called "left angle bracket."