A (very simple) question about terminology in electrical circuits

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of the term "branch" in English and the potential confusion it may cause when discussing circuits. The speaker uses the term to describe a section of a circuit that goes from one node to another with no nodes in between, while in English it is typically used to refer to a circuit element. Alternative terms such as "path" and "section" are suggested, but the speaker is concerned about potential confusion when making their lectures available online. It is noted that there is not a standard terminology for this concept in English.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am writing tutorials for my students on electrical circuits and I realized that in English I may have been using incorrect terminology (I also teach in French).

When I describe circuits, I like to have a term for a section of a circuit that goes from one node to another node and with no nodes in between. I call this a "branch" in French. It is a useful concept since the current must be the same throughout such a "branch" (well, outside of capacitors, etc, but you know what I mean).

However, I have realized that apparently in English "branch" is used for what I call a " circuit element" (a resistor, a battery, etc). I find this notation not the best but if everybody is using this, then I have to follow. So do you have a term for what I call a branch of a circuit?

Physics news on Phys.org
My American english ivernacular usage is similar to yours. Although a "branch" may contain some subcircuits so long as they are closed circuits entirely within that branch...so it may have internal nodes...sub-branches actually ( a term I have never used!).

Likes sophiecentaur, vanhees71 and nrqed
I think you are fine. Just be sure to be clear how you use the term.

Likes vanhees71, sysprog, nrqed and 1 other person
nrqed said:
... a section of a circuit that goes from one node to another node and with no nodes in between
As has been pointed, out "branch" in English does have a slighter broader meaning but I see nothing wrong with the way you used it as long as, as Dale suggested, you are clear on what you mean. If you are looking for an alternate term I would suggest "path" although that too has a broader use in English, often meaning any complete loop. Also, if there were two individual ways to get from one node to the other, they would both be called a path so I'm not sure if that follows your intent.

Suppose for example node A and node B are connected by two resistors in parallel followed by a resistor in series with that pair. That would be TWO paths but it would be reasonable in English to call that area from A to B a branch.

At the end of the day, words are less important than the concepts except inasmuch as they help us be clear when discussing the concepts. If your students get the concepts right, they are not likely to be confused by a change in terminology.

Likes sophiecentaur, sysprog and nrqed
I use 'path'.

Likes Tom.G
phinds said:
If you are looking for an alternate term I would suggest "path" although that too has a broader use in English, often meaning any complete loop.
Path is often le mot juste (the right word) in circuit analysis especially when you're discussing something with someone who's not familiar with algorithmic graph theory.

sysprog said:
Path is often le mot juste (the right word) in circuit analysis especially when you're discussing something with someone who's not familiar with algorithmic graph theory.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I actually would rather not use "path" because I use that later on, for example in finding the difference of potential between two points in a circuit, where I talk about the different paths one can use and get the same answer.

The problem is that I want to make my lectures available on the internet and I don't want to lead to confusion and misunderstanding among the viewers if I use "branch" in a non canonical way. It is true that it should be ok to make clear what I mean but I cannot explain again at the beginning of e.very video what my non canonical notation is. I am surprised that there is not a canonical terminology for this concept since it is so useful in the discussion of circuits.

nrqed said:
I am surprised that there is not a canonical terminology for this concept since it is so useful in the discussion of circuits.
Well, you could just talk about a "section" of a circuit. That shouldn't get you in any trouble.

Likes nrqed

1. What is the difference between voltage and current in an electrical circuit?

Voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. Voltage is measured in volts (V) and current is measured in amperes (A).

2. Can you explain the difference between AC and DC in electrical circuits?

AC (alternating current) is the type of electricity that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) flows in one direction. AC is commonly used in household outlets, while DC is used in batteries and electronic devices.

3. What is the purpose of resistance in an electrical circuit?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of current. It is used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit and is measured in ohms (Ω).

4. How do you calculate power in an electrical circuit?

Power is calculated by multiplying the voltage by the current. It is measured in watts (W) and represents the rate at which energy is transferred in a circuit.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches. In a series circuit, the same current flows through all components, while in a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across each branch.