Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia is directly proportional to mass

1. Jul 5, 2007 #1
    I say inertia is directly proportional to mass
    Frank says inertia is directly proportional to charge

Of course we alll know I am right, but I would like to prove Frank wrong anyways. Instead of going to wikipedia and laughing in his face, (as is standard procedure) I would like to conduct an experiment.

Im not too keen on this science business, but I assume this would involve stripping a body of electrons, leaving an overall posotive charge; or adding electrons to a body, giving it a negative charge

In short, these are the questions I need answering:
    How would I add electrons to matter
    How would I strip electrons from matter
    How would I sustain this charge
    How would I measure inertia
    What sort of material should I use

Im not asking if this is worth my time, I am asking how I would do it
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2007 #2
    this is so ludicrous. inertia is a property of mass, plain and simple. you don't need wikipedia, you need an 8th grade science book.
  4. Jul 5, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

Right - it isn't a property of mass, it is mass.

This idea about testing charge vs inertia is just trivial. Particle accelerators fire charged particles all the time and the behavior is well documented an understood.

And by the way, the net charge of a regular molecule is zero, so it would have no inertia by that logic. This is just gibberish.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  5. Jul 5, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You add electrons to something by bombarding it with electrons. The mean free path of a electron in air is very short so this is usually done in a vacuum. You can strip electrons from something by placing it in a strong electric field, heating in an electric field, bombarding it with positive ions (like argon+), etc... All these are performed in a vacuum (~10-6 Torr). I would definitely use a gas. The ions you make will self-sustain if the charged species doesn't decompose spontaneously. Another good reason to use a gas...

You should start by reviewing the difference between inertia and momentum.

Are you two arguing about the curved path an ion takes in a magnetic field?

(mass spec problem?)
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?