Inertia: Why Is It Measured in Meters to the Fourth Power?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marco884
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inertia Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
Marco884
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hello! :) ..Can you tell me why when I counting inertia the result must by in meters to the fourth power ?!
Why meters to the fourth power ?!. Is there analogical explanation?!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Marco884 said:
Hello! :) ..Can you tell me why when I counting inertia the result must by in meters to the fourth power ?!
Why meters to the fourth power ?!. Is there analogical explanation?!
You are doing the same operation that you are doing for the "classical inertia moment", mass x distance^2 (Kg m^2), but instead of the mass you are using the area. the logical explanation is that when you are calculating a some sort of geometrical moments you are, always, multiplying a quantity x distance^2 .
 
I think you are getting confused by the measure unit. The right expression of a moment (mathematic) is
thishttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(mathematics).
You can apply this definition because you have already applied the continuous geometrical model (little mass dots forming your body) . If you thereat your body as a statistical distribution of point you can definitely apply the maths on the link (
Your model could also be a perfect distribution).
Finally you can calculate every moment quantity you want, mass, distant (static moment), area (inertia moment), volume(solid moment)... They tell you info about distribution, so about your body.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Marco884
Really helped me this link, things were quite different than I thought but I still have smal questions :)
 
Last edited:
Hehe .. Static moments = Momenty statyczne
I guess you know the rest.. :)