1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Stefan's fourth-power law

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The total intensity I(T) radiated from a blackbody (at all wavelengths λ) is equal to the integral over all wavelengths, 0 < λ < ∞, of the Planck distribution (4.28). (a) By changing variables to x = hc/λkBT, show that ¡(T) has the form I(T) = σT4 where a is a constant independent of temperature. This result is called Ste fan’s fourth-power law, after the Austrian physicist Josef Stefan.

2. Relevant equations

I(λ,T) = (2πhc^2)/(λ^5)*(1/(e^(hc/λkBT))-1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that I need to substitute x into the equation and the easy part that I get:

1/(e^x)-1

out of the second part. However the first part seems to be just inflating the equation by substitution to which it will merely increase continually.
    I did end up substituting:

hc=xλkBT

into the numerator to get:

=2π(kBTx)c/λ^5

just not sure where to go from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have I(λ,T) = A/[λ5(eb/λ- 1)] where A and b are constants which you can identify. b carries the temperature dependence.

As you noted, the total intensity is an integral over λ of this expression. Then follow your idea of a change of variable of integration to x = b/λ. When the smoke clears, you should get a bunch of constants times an integral over x. Don't worry about doing the integral, it will just be some dimensionless number independent of T. All of the T dependence will come from the factors of b in the mess of constants in front of the integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook