Inertial forces, relative strength, basic q.

In summary, the inertial forces, in increasing order of strength, for an observer in the Earth's rotating frame observing a stationary body in the UK are: centrifugal, coriolis/euler, with coriolis and euler tied. The coriolis force is dependent on velocity and can only come into play when there is motion. The euler force, which is given by m(dw/dt) X r, would be zero in this scenario. However, it's important to consider if the Earth's angular rotation ever changes, as this would affect the strength of the forces.
pepsimaxisgood
The question is to rank the inertial forces, euler,coriolis and centrifugal in increasing order of strength, for a observer in the Earth' rotating frame, observing a body stationary in the UK.

My thoughts are that coriolis = 2mw X (dr/dt), and so depends on the velocity so can only come into play when there is motion.

A similar argument would hold for the euler force: m(dw/dt) X (dr/dt) . (Even without the dr/dt =0, my book says that dw/dt approximates zero, so this force would be zero anyway.

This would give the order : centrigufal, corilios/euler - with coriolis and euler tied.

However I'm not 100% sure dr/dt =0 - does this correspond to only translational motion?

(The question does not mention any of the forces being of equal strength, so I assume I am wrong somewhere...)

Thanks for your help guys !

Physics news on Phys.org
pepsimaxisgood said:
A similar argument would hold for the euler force: m(dw/dt) X (dr/dt) .

That's wrong (it's even dimensionally wrong). Try m(dw/dt) X r.
To answer completely, you'd have to investigate whether the Earth's angular rotation ever changes. If the Coriolis force is definitely zero here (I agree) then any nonzero Euler force will break the tie.

1. What are inertial forces?

Inertial forces are forces that arise from the tendency of objects to resist changes in their state of motion. These forces are present in all objects and are proportional to their mass and acceleration.

2. How do inertial forces affect an object's motion?

Inertial forces will cause an object to accelerate in the opposite direction of the applied force. This is known as Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. What is relative strength?

Relative strength is a measure of the strength of an object's response to an external force. It takes into account the mass and acceleration of the object to determine how much it will resist changes in its motion.

4. How does relative strength differ from absolute strength?

Absolute strength is a measure of the overall force an object can exert, while relative strength takes into account the object's mass and acceleration. This means that two objects with the same absolute strength can have different relative strengths if they have different masses and accelerations.

5. How does understanding basic q help in understanding inertial forces and relative strength?

Basic q, or the concept of mass times acceleration, is essential in understanding inertial forces and relative strength. This concept helps us to quantify the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the forces acting upon it, allowing us to better understand how inertial forces and relative strength affect an object's motion.