1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infimum of integral of open set

1. Dec 1, 2012 #1
    I have already done part a and b. Part a is easy, for part b, i let the anti-derivative of f to be k(t)+c and arrive at the answer that F(f)= 1/2+ 2*k(1/2) - k(1). But i don't know how to do the next part, can anyone give me a hint? the question c ask me to show that the infimum of F is 0 and it is never attained on A.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: For F(f) to be near zero then f needs to be near 0 on [0,1/2) and near 1 on (1/2,1].

4. Dec 1, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's conceptually pretty easy. Both integrands are nonnegative. You can make it as small as you want by jumping from f=0 on most of [0,1/2] to f=1 on most of [1/2,1]. Is that enough of a hint?

5. Dec 2, 2012 #4
    but in that case, F(f) will be -1/2,right? im sorry but i don't really understand the hint,can you give a more specific "hint"?(i know,im bad at this)

6. Dec 2, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know where you got that since "f" was not given explicitely. It sounds to me like you are integrating f from 0 to 1 rather than f from 0 to 1/2 and then 1- f from 1/2 to 1.

Suppose f(x)= 0 for [itex]0\le x\le .4[/itex], f(x)= 5(x- .4) for [itex].4\le x\le .6[/itex], f(x)= 1 for [itex].6\le x\le 1[/itex]. That is, f is 0 from 0 to .4, then the straight line from (.4, 0) to (.6, 1), then is 1 from .6 to 1. What is the integral of that?

Now, do the same thing for , say .45 instead of .4 and .55 instead of .6- f(x)= 0 for [itex]0\le x\le .45[/itex], is the straight line from (.45, 0) to (.55, 1), then 1 from .55 to 1. What is the integral of that? (You don't even need to write out the formula for the function- the integral is the area of a right triangle.)

What happens as you keep moving those two points toward x= .5?

7. Dec 2, 2012 #6
    thank you very much for this, i have been trying to do this question for a whole day already.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook