1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite cylinder covered by one chart

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    Hi there. I have just been doing some reading on manifolds, and i'm finding some of it hard to grasp. An example we were given was of the infinite cylinder and how to construct its map, and that it would be with one chart. the reading initially says that we can use θ [itex]\in[/itex] (0,2pi] and z [itex]\in[/itex] (-[itex]\infty[/itex], +[itex]\infty[/itex]). It goes on to give two examples of maps that can be used:

1. ρ=tan[itex]^{-1}[/itex](z) + pi [itex]\in[/itex] (pi/2, 3*pi/2)
    2. ρ=e[itex]^{z}[/itex] [itex]\in[/itex] (0,[itex]\infty[/itex])

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand a little more of what's going on here?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2
    What is ρ?

4. Mar 19, 2013 #3
    the following attachments are the working out i'm talking about...

Attached Files:

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4
    I could not understand some words (I am very bad at reading anything hand written - even if written by myself!) but I think I understand that in the first case, the cylinder is paramaterized via a map from an annulus (ring), in another from a plane without the unit circle at the origin. What difficulty are you having with that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted