Infinite-distance object lens depiction

• Thread starter Yipyioh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary, the assignment prompts the creation of construction rays for an object at infinity refracting through a thin converging lens, with the image focusing at focal point f. The origin of the rays is suggested to be a light source such as the sun, and the lines should be drawn parallel to represent convergence at infinity. However, there is confusion about how to approach this with no mention of an object at infinite range in the textbook.
Yipyioh
This is rather simple but has me stumped. The assignment prompts me to create the construction rays of an object at infinity, refracting through a thin converging lens, with image focusing at focal point f. So where do the rays originate from?

My guess was perhaps it means just a light source like the sun focusing at the focal point f, but it still confuses me. There is no mention of an object at infinite range in my textbook, so how should I go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Yipyioh! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Yipyioh said:
My guess was perhaps it means just a light source like the sun focusing at the focal point f, but it still confuses me. There is no mention of an object at infinite range in my textbook, so how should I go about this?

yes, like the sun …

and draw the lines parallel (because they "converge at infinity" :wink:)​

1. How does an infinite-distance object lens depict an object?

An infinite-distance object lens uses parallel light rays to create an image of an object. These light rays do not converge, so the image appears at infinity.

2. What is the difference between an infinite-distance object lens and a finite-distance object lens?

An infinite-distance object lens has a focal length of infinity, meaning it does not have a specific focal point. A finite-distance object lens has a finite focal length, meaning it has a specific focal point where the image appears.

3. Can an infinite-distance object lens produce a magnified image?

No, an infinite-distance object lens cannot produce a magnified image. It only produces an image that is the same size as the object.

4. How is the magnification of an infinite-distance object lens calculated?

The magnification of an infinite-distance object lens is calculated by dividing the image distance by the object distance. Since the image distance is infinity, the magnification is always 1.

5. What are some real-world applications of using an infinite-distance object lens?

An infinite-distance object lens is commonly used in astronomical telescopes to view objects at great distances, such as stars and galaxies. It is also used in microscopy to produce images of very small objects, such as cells and bacteria.