1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Group Has Infinite Subgroups

1. May 27, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Infinite Group Has Infinite Subgroups

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that an infinite group must have an infinite number of subgroups.

The attempt at a solution
    There are two infinite groups that I can think of: the additive group of integers Z and the multiplicative group of positive reals R+. Except for 0, all elements of Z have infinite order and <n>, n ≥ 0, is a unique subgroup of Z. The same seems to hold for R+. Hmm...

Let G = {e, a1, -a1, a2, -a2, ...} be an infinite additive group. I'm led to believe that <ai> ≠ <aj> if i ≠ j.

The following is a plausible proof by contradiction: Suppose <ai> = <aj>. That means <ai> is a subset of <aj>, so there is a positive integer m > 1 such that maj = ai, and <aj> is a subset of <ai> so there is a positive integer n > 1 such that nai = aj. This implies that mnai = maj = ai and since mn > 1, <ai> is finite which means that ai has finite order. So all I have to prove now is that ai has infinite order.

This is where I'm stuck. I need a little push.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2
    If there exists x in G such that x has infinite order, consider the group generated by x^2, x^3, x^4, .... Containment one way is trivial, so if the groups aren't distinct, I'm sure you can find a contradiction to the fact that x has infinite order.

If |x| is finite for all x in G, pick x1, x2, x3, ... such that x2 is not contained in <x1>, etc. These are an infinite number of subgroups, and are obviously distinct since otherwise |G| is finite.

4. May 27, 2008 #3
    Right. This is what I did in my first post, essentially.

So I start by picking x1 in G. Then I find an x2 in G that is not in <x1>. Then I find an x3 in G that is not in <x2> and <x1>. Etc. And there is an infinite number of these. Sure they are distinct but how does that make |G| finite?

5. May 27, 2008 #4
    It doesn't make |G| finite. That's the point. You've found an infinite number of distinct subgroups. If the process terminated at some point, that would make |G| finite, a contradiction.

6. May 27, 2008 #5
    I messed up. I meant to ask why |G| is finite if the process terminates.

7. May 27, 2008 #6
    Because you can count the elements. Say it stops after n steps. Then you can't find an element of G not in <xi> for some i. But since |<xi>| is finite for each i, you have a finite sum of finite numbers, and you're done.

8. May 27, 2008 #7
    Right! I forgot that |<xi>| = |xi| which is finite. Thanks a lot.

9. May 27, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a little late, but you might also notice that your first attempt was doomed to failure. To say <ai>=<aj> iff ai=aj only true in some groups (such as both of your examples). Consider Z_p for p prime. All non-identity elements generate the whole group. You might say that's because it's finite, but then consider Z_p x Z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?