Infinite Series: Find Function

In summary, Bailey is asking for help with finding a function for an infinite series. The series converges for x > 1 and Bailey believes the function is \frac{10}{x-1}, but is unsure how to get it. PM suggests factoring out a 10/x and recognizing the remaining series as a geometric series. Bailey thanks PM for the suggestion.
MrBailey
Hello all!
I have the following infinite series:

[tex]\frac{10}{x}+\frac{10}{x^2}+\frac{10}{x^3}+\ldots[/tex]

How would I find a function, f(x), of this series?

I know the series converges for [tex]\vert x \vert > 1[/tex]

I think the function is: [tex]f(x) = \frac{10}{x-1}[/tex]

but I'm not sure how to get it.

Thanks,
Bailey

Physics news on Phys.org
why the x-1 in the denominator?
maybe this

[tex]f_{n}(x) = \frac{10}{x^n}[/tex]

because

[tex]\sum\frac{10}{x^n}[/tex]

will be what you started with, but I may be worng and/or missing something though.

Last edited:
Hint: factor out a 10/x and see if the remaining series looks familiar to you.

Ugggh! I'm so blind sometimes...must be all the turkey I ate yesterday. I see the geometric series.

Thanks, PM.

Bailey

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical concept that involves adding an infinite number of terms together. Each term in the series is related to the previous one by a specific rule or pattern.

2. How do you find the function of an infinite series?

To find the function of an infinite series, you need to determine the pattern or rule that relates each term to the previous one. This can be done through various methods such as substitution, induction, or using known mathematical identities.

3. What is the importance of finding the function of an infinite series?

Finding the function of an infinite series is important in many areas of science and mathematics. It allows us to make predictions and calculations based on the given pattern or rule, and helps us understand the behavior of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity.

4. What are some common techniques used to find the function of an infinite series?

Some common techniques used to find the function of an infinite series include the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These methods help determine the convergence or divergence of a series and can also be used to find the function of the series.

5. Can all infinite series be solved to find their function?

No, not all infinite series can be solved to find their function. Some series have complex patterns or no discernible pattern at all, making it impossible to find their function. In such cases, we can still make predictions and calculations based on the known terms, but we cannot determine the exact function of the series.