Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Series: sigma (2^n)+1/(2^n+1)

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    i'm not quiet sure how to attack this problem:

sigma (2^n)+1/(2^(n+1))
    n->1

If I start plugging in #'s for n, then I get:

n=1: 3/4
    n=2: 5/8
    n=3: 9/16...

by this method, I see that it's going to 1/2, but I need another way to 'see' that. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are very few series for which we have an exact formula for the sum. One for which we do is the geometric series. Can you find a way to express the above series as, say, a sum of two geometric series?

4. Apr 24, 2007 #3
    (2^n)/(2^(n+1)) + 1/(2^(n+1))

This gives me 1/2 + 1/2^(n+1) which eventually goes to zero.... :-)

hence - my answer!

5. Apr 24, 2007 #4
    This series is exactly term by term: [tex]\frac{2^2+1}{2^(n+1)}=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2^(n+1)}[/tex]

Oh! I see anderma8 got their first, before I could figure out the latex.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  6. Apr 24, 2007 #5
    robert Ihnot - Thanks for your input though! I guess I will need to substitute numbers to get the 1/2 and see that the other side goes to 0!

Thanks! It's starting to make sense!

7. Apr 24, 2007 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is just the terms in the argument of the series. You're not asked to find the limit of the argument; you're asked to find out what the series sums to. What is a series anyway? It's a sequence of partial sums. So the sequence of which you're trying to find the limit of actually has as first 3 terms

n=1: 3/4
    n=2: 3/4 + 5/8
    n=3: 3/4 + 5/8 + 9/16...

hence nada.

What you've done is you've broken the nasty looking initial formula for the argument into 1/2 + 1/2^{n+1}. You still need to evaluate

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}\right)[/tex]

and give a rigourous argument as to why it diverges.

P.S. I hallucinated in my first post; it's not a sum of two geometric series.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  8. Apr 25, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, what you wrote is pretty close to non-sense:
    "sigma (2^n)+1/(2^(n+1))
    n->1"
    What in the world could "n->1" mean? I assume you mean that the sum is from 1 to infinity. Second, I feel sure you mean (2^n+ 1)/2^(n+1), not what you wrote. Finally, you do NOT get
    "n=1: 3/4
    n=2: 5/8
    n=3: 9/16... "
    Because that is a sum you "get" 3/4, 3/4+ 5/8= 11/8, 3/4+ 5/8+ 9/16= 21/16, ...

As several people have told you, the individual terms are (2^n+1)/2^(n+1)= 1/2+ 1/2^(n+1) so that the sequence of terms goes to 1/2 in the limit. Since that sequence does not go to 0, the sum itself does not converge.

(If you really did mean "sigma 2^n+ 1/(2^(n+1))", that's even worse since even the sequence of terms diverges!)

9. Apr 25, 2007 #8
    quasar987 & HallsofIvy,

It's late where I am, but I wanted to thank you both. I am sure I am confusing several words in my posts and I'm not ashamed to admit it. That's at least how I learn! Thanks for the clarification. I have been looking at this stuff for quite a bit of time this evening and will continue this tomorrow. I'll be printing out ur posts and try and internalize them. Again, thanks for your posts!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?