1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Square Well (Conceptual)

1. Jun 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say, for example, a wave function is defined as 1/sqrt(2)[ψ(1)+ψ(2)] where ψ are the normalized stationary state energy eigenfunctions of the ISQ.
    Now, say I make a measurement of position. What becomes of the wavefunction at a time t>0 after the position measurement (i.e. after it has had time to evolve)?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I would assume that the wave function would become a superposition of inifinitely many stationary states, but such that the expectation value of the Hamiltonian (energy) is the same so as to stay in line with the conservation of energy.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's why the time evolution operator commutes with Hamiltonian.
    Let's say at t=0, you found your particle at ##x=x'## with probability ##|\langle x' | \Psi \rangle|^2##, then right after this point in time, the initial state before measurement collapses to ##|x' \rangle##. If you want to know how it evolves with time, then just apply the time evolution operator. If you want it to be expressed in the known entities such as the eigenstates of the ISW, insert the completeness operator in the space spanned by the ISW eigenstates in between the time evolution operator and ##|x' \rangle##.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  4. Jun 19, 2015 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Do you mean that the expectation value of energy would be the same before and after the measurement? If so, that's not the case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted