1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Square Well, finding Psi(x,t)

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle in the infinite square well has the initial wave function ## \Psi (x, 0) = Ax(a-x), (0 \le x \le a) ##, for some constant A. Outside the well, of course, ## \Psi = 0 ##.
    Find ## \Psi (x,t)

2. Relevant equations:
    Equation [1.0]:

## \displaystyle c_n = \sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a}} \int_0^a \sin \left( \dfrac{n \pi x}{a}\right) \Psi (x,0)dx ##

3. The answer (that is given):
    First, determine A by normalising ## \Psi (x,0) ##

## \displaystyle 1 = \int_0^a | \Psi(x,t)|^2 dx##

Therefore ## A = \sqrt{\dfrac{30}{a^5}} ##

The nth coefficient is (Equation [1.0])

## \displaystyle c_n = \sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a}} \int_0^a \sin \left( \dfrac{n \pi x}{a}\right) \sqrt{\dfrac{30}{a^5}}x(a-x)dx ##

... skipped working...

## \displaystyle c_n = \dfrac{4 \sqrt{15}}{(n \pi)^3}[\cos(0) - \cos(n \pi)] ##

Therefore:

## c_n = 0 ## if n is even

## c_n = \dfrac{8 \sqrt{15}}{(n \pi)^3} ## if n is odd

Thus:

## \displaystyle \Psi (x,t) = \sqrt{\dfrac{30}{a}} \left( \dfrac{2}{a} \right) \sum \limits_{n=1, 3, 5...} \dfrac{1}{n^3} \sin \left( \dfrac{n \pi x}{a} \right) e^{(-in^2 \pi^2 \hbar t) / (2ma^2)} ##

4. The attempt at understanding it:

I get the normalisation part, and I get how they do the nth coefficient (hence I omitted the working) but I don't get why.

I thought all I had to do was normalise the ## \Psi (x,0)## and then add the time dependent factor to it, so shouldn't I get:

## \Psi (x,t) = \sqrt{\dfrac{30}{a^5}} x (a-x) \cdot e^{(-in^2 \pi^2 \hbar t) / (2ma^2)}##

Can someone explain this to me (in simple terms)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, Cogswell.

If you look at your proposed solution, you can see a difficulty. What value of ##n## are you going to use in the time dependent factor?

Only the energy eigenstates ## \sin \left( \dfrac{n \pi x}{a}\right) ## evolve in time according to an exponential factor Exp##(-iE_n t/\hbar)##. Each energy eigenstate has its own time factor. So, the idea is to write the initial wavefunction as a superposition of energy eigenstates and then let each of those eigenstates evolve in time with its own time factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted