Infinite Square well with a Finite square well inside

In summary, the problem is that when I take the limit as b→a (the ordinary infinite square well), I get only one solution, where I should get infinity many.
user3
Ok here's a potential I invented and am trying to solve:

V =
-Vo in -b<x<b
and 0 in -a<x<-b , b<x<a where b<a
and ∞ everywhere elseI solved it twice and I got the same nonsensical transcendental equation for the allowed energies: [tex]\frac{-k}{\sqrt{z_0 - k^2}} \frac{e^{2kb} + e^{2ka}}{e^{2kb} - e^{2ka}} = tan(b \sqrt{z_0-k^2})[/tex].

, where [tex]k=\frac{\sqrt{-2mE}}{\hbar}[/tex] and [tex]z_0 = \frac{2mV_0}{\hbar^2}[/tex]

The problem is that when I take the limit as b→a (the ordinary infinite square well) I get only one solution, where I should get infinity many.

So is there something fundamentally wrong with trying to solve this potential? Is it wrong to have an Infinite potential and bury some of it under the 0 (negative potential) ? Note: I am solving it for negative energies(Bound bound states?).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you solve it? Can you show what you did?

Your choice of k could indicate that you looked at solutions for E<0 only. Is that true? You would expect solutions for positive energies as well.

Yes that's true. I was looking for the E<0 solutions. Only the even solutions also.

Here's how I solved it:

[itex]\psi(x) = C sin(lx) + Dcos(lx)\:\:\:\:\: 0<x<b \:\:\:\:\:[1][/itex]

Note: [itex]l = \frac{\sqrt{2m(E+V_0)}}{\hbar}[/itex]

[itex]\psi(x) = Ae^{-kx} + Be^{kx}\:\:\:\:\:b<x<a \:\:\:\:\:[2][/itex]

since I am looking only for the even solutions, I can use only the cos part in equation [1]
---> [itex]\psi(x) = Dcos(lx)\:\:\:\:\:0<x<b \:\:\:\:\:[3][/itex]

Also [itex]\psi(x)=0[/itex] at x = a: [itex]Ae^{-ka} + Be^{ka} = 0[/itex] ----> [tex]A = -Be^{2ka}[/tex]

that turns equation [2] into [tex]\psi(x) = Be^{-kb} (e^{2kb} - e^{2ka}) \:\:\:\:\:[4][/tex]

[itex]\psi(x)[/itex] is continuous at x = b: [tex]Be^{-kb} (e^{2kb} - e^{2ka}) = Dcos(lx)[/tex]

that gives us [tex]D = \frac{Be^{-kb} (e^{2kb} - e^{2ka})}{cos(lb)}\:\:\:\:\:[5][/tex]

Using the fact that [itex]\frac{d\psi}{dx}[/itex] is continuous ,the fact that [itex]l = \sqrt{z_0 - k^2}[/itex], and equation [5], we get

[tex]\frac{-k}{\sqrt{z_0 - k^2}} \frac{e^{2kb} + e^{2ka}}{e^{2kb} - e^{2ka}} = tan(b \sqrt{z_0-k^2})[/tex]

Last edited:
user3 said:
Yes that's true. I was looking for the E<0 solutions. Only the even solutions also.

Here's how I solved it:

[itex]\psi(x) = C sin(lx) + Dcos(lx)\:\:\:\:\: 0<x<b \:\:\:\:\:[1][/itex]

Note: [itex]l = \frac{\sqrt{2m(E+V_0)}}{\hbar}[/itex]

[itex]\psi(x) = Ae^{-kx} + Be^{kx}\:\:\:\:\:b<x<a \:\:\:\:\:[2][/itex]

since I am looking only for the even solutions, I can use only the cos part in equation [1]
---> [itex]\psi(x) = Dcos(lx)\:\:\:\:\:0<x<b \:\:\:\:\:[3][/itex]

Also [itex]\psi(x)=0[/itex] at x = a: [itex]Ae^{-ka} + Be^{ka} = 0[/itex] ----> [tex]A = -Be^{2ka}[/tex]

that turns equation [2] into [tex]\psi(x) = Be^{-kb} (e^{2kb} - e^{2ka}) \:\:\:\:\:[4][/tex]
I think you mean ##\psi(x) = Be^{-kx}(e^{2kx}-e^{2ka})##. I'd write it differently, however:
$$\psi(x) = -B e^{2ka} e^{-kx} + B e^{kx} = Be^{ka} (-e^{ka}e^{-kx} + e^{-ka}e^{kx}) = 2Be^{ka} \sinh k(x-a) = B' \sinh k(x-a).$$

[itex]\psi(x)[/itex] is continuous at x = b: [tex]Be^{-kb} (e^{2kb} - e^{2ka}) = Dcos(lx)[/tex]

that gives us [tex]D = \frac{Be^{-kb} (e^{2kb} - e^{2ka})}{cos(lb)}\:\:\:\:\:[5][/tex]

Using the fact that [itex]\frac{d\psi}{dx}[/itex] is continuous ,the fact that [itex]l = \sqrt{z_0 - k^2}[/itex], and equation [5], we get

[tex]\frac{-k}{\sqrt{z_0 - k^2}} \frac{e^{2kb} + e^{2ka}}{e^{2kb} - e^{2ka}} = tan(b \sqrt{z_0-k^2})[/tex]
Why do you think you're getting only one solution when ##b \to a##? It seems to me that if ##V_0## (and hence ##z_0##) is big enough, you can get multiple solutions with E<0. The rest of the solutions will be for E>0.

Yes That's what I expected. I even solved the problem of the Well where the limit has already been taken and It gave me multiple solutions, like expected.

I am sorry, I just realized that I have been taking the limit incorrectly. I now realize the I have a division by 0 when I take the limit. What can I do about that?

The 0 should cancel with another expression going to zero. Consider both at the same time in the limit.

As b→a, the transcendental equation becomes [tex]\frac{-k}{\sqrt{z_0 - k^2}} \frac{2e^{2ka}}{0} = tan(a \sqrt{z_0-k^2})[/tex]

I can't see any other 0's.

You could simply flip the equation over to avoid the division by 0 so that you have ##\cot (a\sqrt{z_0-k^2}) = 0##.

Likes 1 person

What is an infinite square well with a finite square well inside?

An infinite square well with a finite square well inside is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined within a potential well. The infinite square well represents the walls of the well, while the finite square well is a localized potential barrier within the well.

What is the significance of studying this system?

Studying the infinite square well with a finite square well inside allows scientists to better understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces and the effects of potential barriers on their movement. This can have applications in fields such as nanotechnology and solid-state physics.

What are the key features of this system?

The key features of this system include the infinite potential walls of the well, the localized potential barrier within the well, and the energy levels that the particle can occupy within the well. The system also follows the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the quantization of energy levels and the wave-like behavior of particles.

How does the particle's behavior differ within and outside of the finite square well?

Within the finite square well, the particle experiences a potential barrier that restricts its movement and leads to quantized energy levels. Outside of the finite square well, the particle is free to move and does not encounter any potential barriers. This results in a continuous energy spectrum.

What are some real-world examples of systems that can be modeled using this system?

The infinite square well with a finite square well inside can be used to model various physical systems, such as a particle in a potential well created by a laser trap, a particle in a potential well created by a magnetic field, or an electron in a quantum dot structure.