1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Infinity as a reference.

1. Dec 20, 2016 #1
    I'm facing a problem in my physics course which is accepting that infinity can be a reference point in both Electrostatics (calculating the voltage of a point) and Matter Properties (calculating the gravitational potential energy), how come we use a reference point which we don't know where it is, keep in mind that I don't have any problems dealing with infinity when we plug it in a mathematical relation, what I want is to understand the physical concept of choosing infinity as a reference.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2016 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no general physical concept. It's often just a convenient convention

4. Dec 20, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"A point at infinity" is simply a point far enough away that going any further would make a negligible difference to the system. E.g. the point at infinity is far enough away that the potential energy is a maximum (for GPE or attractive charges) or a minimum (for repulsive charges).

5. Dec 20, 2016 #4
    Ok then, I can't get over that "convenient convention", and please tell me, what makes it legit ?

6. Dec 20, 2016 #5
    Thanks for your reply, but can you tell me how we are able to calculate for instance the voltage of a point charge having a charge Q, it's coordinates are (X,Y) while setting our reference point as infinity ?

7. Dec 20, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Voltage is the difference in electric potential, so the question is how to define electric potential. One definition of electric potential for a point charge ##Q## is:

##U = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r} \ ##, where ##r## is the distance from the charge.

This gives a function of ##r## that tends to ##0## as ##r \rightarrow \infty##. And, in many ways, this is the most natural and useful definition, given the relationship between ##U## and ##r##. I'm not sure I would say this uses ##\infty## as a reference point, though.

You could equally well define:

##U = U_0 + \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r} \ ##, where ##U_0## is some constant.

If ##Q## is negative (or if ##Q## is positive and ##U_0## is negative), you will have some radius ##r_0## where ##U(r_0) = 0##. But, it's not really making ##r_0## special.

8. Dec 20, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

PS How you define ##U(r)## doesn't change the critical fact that the function ##U(r)## never attains its max or min, but tends to one of these as ##r \rightarrow 0## and the other as ##r \rightarrow \infty##. In a sense, ##r \rightarrow \infty## has a physical meaning whether you like it or not!

9. Dec 20, 2016 #8

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This might be the core of your confusion: We aren't using the position as reference, just the finite value at which some function converges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted